Low oil pressure at idle

Old 05-19-05, 06:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low oil pressure at idle

Help, please! I just recently (less then 1000 miles ago) changed the oil and filter on my wife's '90 Plymouth Voyager (3.3l v-6, port fuel injection, auto overdrive trans, 125k miles). I've also replaced the oil pressure gauge sender within the past year. For the longest time, the oil pressure has read low when going up or down our driveway; it's pretty steep. I accounted the reading to the steepness uncovering the oil pump pickup, as the pressure would come back when we got the van on level ground in the garage. The "check gauges" light would come on during these times, but that just stood to reason. At off-idle speeds, the pressure gauge has always stayed near the middle of the "normal" range. After switching to the auto parts store's brand of high-mileage oil and a new national-brand filter, the problem seemed to get better for a while. Now, however, my wife tells me the pressure goes away and the light comes on at idle, such as at a stoplight, on more-or-less level ground. I don't want to believe that the bearings are gone already, but I can't say how the vehicle was cared for before we got it 2 years ago. I've also heard that the oil pumps on this engine are kind of problem-ridden. What gives? I'd like not to have to rebuild the engine just yet, and I'd also rather not have to replace the oil pump. but I'd rather replace the pump than do a rebuild. Any input, anybody? Thanks in advance - Chris

Old 05-19-05, 07:02 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
I think you may have discovered why you see row upon row of these vehicles that look real nice on the exterior and interior lined up at salvage yards. Go get two cans of STP pour it in and head straight for the dealership to trade it in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: