1988 Buick Regal Ignition switch

Old 05-12-05, 03:55 AM
crazycanukski
Visiting Guest
1988 Buick Regal Ignition switch

The ignition key switch has failed in the Regal. I have removed the steering wheel and other components to get at the switch. I have hit a road block. This vehicle has tilt steering and I cant seen to figure out how to get at the switch from here. Does anyone know how to get at the switch other than removing the tilt steering? Does any one know where I might be able to get an exploded diagram of the steering wheel and instructions on how to swap out the ignition switch, other than purchasing another manual.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-05, 07:11 AM
first things first...

...are you experiencing a mechanical problem in that you can't rotate the part that the key fits into? or...do you have an electrical problem where the key rotates properly but lights don't light up or the engine doesn't start.

the switch (electrical part is at the lower end of the column) requires a different procedure than what you are attempting.

the lock cylinder (that part the key goes into) isn't too bad. once you remove the screws to the turn signal switch and slide it towards you (you may have to provide some slack in the harness under the dash), you remove the key in buzzer switch (be careful not to lose the spring that loads it...it's under the buzzer switch). then there is a screw that intersects the lock cylinder (probably a torx head)...remove it and the lock cylinder will slide right out. you shouldn't need to mess with the tilt function at all.

Old 05-13-05, 02:58 AM
crazycanukski
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply carguyinva,

It is the lock cylinder forsure cause when the key is inserted, it just "flops" around and doesnt do anything.

I"ll try to find that tork screw your talkin about but I have removed the turn signal switch and did not see this screw......I'll look again.

Thanks
Crazycanukski

Search this Thread