Broken waterpump stud in 87 Mustang 5.0

Old 05-12-05, 01:04 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Broken waterpump stud in 87 Mustang 5.0

I was changing the waterpump in my 87 mustang gt. One stud broke off in the block. Do I have to drill it out by hand and retap or is there another way. All ideas would be appreciated.

Old 05-12-05, 05:33 PM
C
If it broke from over tightening and did not bottom out you may be able to drill in the center and use an easy out but be careful and do not break the easy out off.
If it is rusted in, bottomed out or or broke coming out you will have to drill & tap. Either way you need to make sure you drill in the center and that can be hard to do particularly if the bolt did not break leaving a flat surface to drill on. Use a center punch.

Do not drill too deep as you could go into a water jacket.

Old 05-13-05, 06:28 AM
I
I would also try soaking it in penetrating oil and the easy out method. It worked for me once.

Old 05-13-05, 09:41 AM
A
Originally Posted by car nut
If it broke from over tightening and did not bottom out you may be able to drill in the center and use an easy out but be careful and do not break the easy out off.
If it is rusted in, bottomed out or or broke coming out you will have to drill & tap. Either way you need to make sure you drill in the center and that can be hard to do particularly if the bolt did not break leaving a flat surface to drill on. Use a center punch.

Do not drill too deep as you could go into a water jacket.
where do I find a 5/16 tap that goes deep enough into the housing?

Old 05-13-05, 02:22 PM
If it’s the stud that goes thru the timing cover, the timing cover must be remove to access the broken piece.

Old 05-13-05, 04:29 PM
C
Originally Posted by toyotaman11769
If it’s the stud that goes thru the timing cover, the timing cover must be remove to access the broken piece.
If it broke in the timing cover there may be enough left to get vice grips or a stud remover on it. If so soak with penatrating fluid and pray. You could heat the bolt with a propane torch which might help. Don't use an accetelyne torch as you will probably get it too hot and it will get soft and twist off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: