Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Air conditioning

Visiting Guest

05-14-05, 05:27 PM   #1  
Jon Hayward
Air conditioning

I have become a very successful do it yourself mechanic - brakes, clutch,most all R & R jobs. Now for something new: A/C compressor on my Mercury van locked up, broke the clutch. With the 134a replacement coolant available over the counter, (assuming I remove remaining R12 legally), am I an idiot to try compressor replacement myself and adding 134a?
Please let me know what I am getting myself into. Car is 1993 Villager. Thanks for advice.

Sponsored Links

05-14-05, 07:50 PM   #2  
it is usually recomended to take it to a shop for a/c work as most people dont have a/c guages or vacum pumps but if you know what your doing I dont see a problem with you replacing the parts yourself suggest you atleast take it to a shop to have the system evacuated and filled when finished with the repairs.
if it is going to be a retrofit to r134a you will need to add the proper amount of r134a approved oil to the compressor before installing also lubricate all orings with refrigerant oil before putting lines or fittings back together you will want to replace compressor, drier and orfice tube, if your model uses an orfice tube, not sure if the villager uses an orfice tube or expansion valve in there system, and you will need some r134a adapter fittings and this is usually the minumum amount of work needed to be done, the system may need to be flushed to remove debris the old compressor left behind in the system to prevent early failure of the new compressor.

MI

05-15-05, 05:25 PM   #3  
In addition... the spring-lock connections are a weak spot for these vehicles. At that age, if they haven't started leaking, they will shortly. They often develop corrosion on the o-ring mating surfaces. When doing the service, and especially if you'll be converting, disconnect all the spring-lock couplings and recondition the sealing surfaces with 400-grit paper until all corrosion is removed.... then continue with flushing all hoses, evaporator, and condenser, and replace all o-rings with r134 compatible ones. This will ensure a long-lasting repair.

Search this Thread