stalled 95 taurus sho

Old 05-15-05, 08:27 AM
proactivemom
Visiting Guest
stalled 95 taurus sho

My taurus stalled on me. thought it was alternator, so installed new battery so I could get home to install alternator, it gained power, started and all power failed in minutes again....but when I charge with battery cables car continues to run fine. Why would it run on battery charge but not a new battery?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-05, 01:53 PM
Are you saying it runs when you are using jumper cables? If so, it's because it's using power from the good alternator from the other vehicle. If your alternator is bad, your car won't run long and drain the battery. The car gets its electric power to run from the alternator and the alternator keeps the battery charged. No way the car is going to run for long on the battery alone.

Old 05-15-05, 09:20 PM
cheapfurcoat
Visiting Guest
Does the Battery light come on? It is probably the alternator. They don't survive the RPMs that a SHO motor dishes out very well BUT...Check to see if your positive battery terminal post is touching the hood when the hood is shut.
Non factory spec batteries in SHOs can sometimes ground out on the hood causing all kinds of problems. Happened to mine and I got a faint occasional glowing from the Battery light but grounding was screwing up the computer making my SHO run very strangely.
If it turns out to be the alternator, do not buy a cheapie re-built one unless you buy the long warranty for it and enjoy changing alternators almost as often you change your oil.
Buy a new or rebuilt BOSCH unit if you can find one. Make sure it has the correct pulley for a SHO.
For expert advise on Taurus SHOs try;
http://www.shoforum.com/
http://www.shotimes.com/php-bin/

Last edited by cheapfurcoat; 05-15-05 at 09:38 PM.