Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

random misfire(Toyota)

TX

05-16-05, 09:55 AM   #1  
random misfire(Toyota)

Wife has a 2000 Toyota Corolla CEL came on this morning.Engine is a 1.8L with 42 thousand miles car bought from dealer with 30 thousand all I ever did was change oil.
Went to the Zone for the code came back as a PO300 random misfire.
What do you think plugs?
what else could it be?If it is plugs will replacing them clear code if not how do i get rid of it?
Wife says car runs fine no hard starts no stummbles or misses.And that is the ONLY code stored.

Last edited by michael van; 05-16-05 at 04:26 PM.

Sponsored Links

05-16-05, 04:39 PM   #2  
Have seen P0 300’s set by the driveway shuffle, moving cars to get other cars out. It takes about two or three times of letting it run only a few secs’ to “load” up and cause this condition.

Also can be cause by using premium in a engine that’s designed for 87 octane. Some people are under the impression its better for it….it can actually cause problems.

What about the air filter?

TX

05-16-05, 05:20 PM   #3  
clean filter

The air filter is clean last time i checked as far as fuel only the 87 octane sees the filler neck.Might be a fluke but i thought i might ask for advice.Might be OEM plugs in there.
I know Toyota put in new airfilter before sale changed oil and did general clean up.
Will light go off or is this something that has to be reset by a scanner?
Car just passed emmision test last week no problem.

05-16-05, 07:17 PM   #4  
Should stay on for 3 trips and then go out. Would stay in history for 40 trips. Thats assuming it doesn't see the problem.

TX

05-16-05, 07:24 PM   #5  
thanks a zillion

Thanks Larry I will change plugs and see what happens.When you say trip is that one cyle? one engine start off cycle.
You have been a super help and I trust your knowleage on Toyota cars and trucks Thanks again.

05-16-05, 07:41 PM   #6  
Trips are different for different codes. I think its more than a key cycle....most likely needs to go through a warm up.

Possibly some water in fuel?

TX

05-16-05, 07:47 PM   #7  
Yikes

I never thought about the water in the fuel with gas pices being so high I go to the cheapest places like wallmart or costco.I keep tank full but you are right it might be that.I guess a bottle of the water in tank treatment wont hurt. Thanks good info.

TX

05-18-05, 05:13 PM   #8  
fixed Larry

Just to update you your advice was right on the money again.I bought a bottle of HEET water eliminator and just like you said about 4 trips the light went off.
I am going to leave the plugs in since they are the iridium type.Been driving all over Fort Worth with no light.
Once again good call mr Toyotaman.and thanks again.

Search this Thread