air conditioning electrical

Old 05-17-05, 11:07 AM
aja_funk
Visiting Guest
air conditioning electrical

I have a 1987 Pontiac grand am, and I had my a/c switched over last year to 134r freon. about 3 months after using it, the condensor stop turning on. I have since figured out by bypassing, and giving the condensor 12 volts of power, that the condensor does click. So I am having a hard time figuring out what electrical component it is. Have checked fuses, but I am stuck on the relay. can't figure out which one it is, or even if it is bad, since I havetried to change some. any one can help?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-05, 01:39 PM
It sounds like the system is low on refrigerant. When the refrigerant charge gets too low, the system will kick off and not give power to the clutch. It is designed this way to protect the compressor. When the charge gets too low it can't properly circulate the lubricant in the system. If it continued running on low charge, the compressor would start wearing until it siezed, resulting in an expensive repair bill.

The first step in diagnosing your problem is to read the system pressure.

Old 07-07-05, 11:46 AM
aja_funk
Visiting Guest
thanks

thank you very much for responding to my question, sorry for not asking earlier, but how do I check the pressure by myself? any help is thankful.
austin

Old 07-07-05, 12:03 PM
Hopefully, whoever converted your system also installed the proper port fittings, from the schraeder (tire-type) valve to the quick-disconnect (shop air connector type).

Pressures are read using an a/c manifold gauge made for r134. They can be bought from Harbor Freight for under $100. Static pressure (car not running) should be roughly 40 psi in a healthy system.