Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1992 Olds attempting to send me to nut house!

Visiting Guest

05-18-05, 10:27 AM   #1  
JohnVH
1992 Olds attempting to send me to nut house!

I am helping a friend with a 1992 Olds Cutlas Supreme, 3.1 EFI, Auto, Front wheel drive. He ran out of gas so I brought him 2.5 gals and the car started.
It drove about 50 feet then coughfed, sputtered and died. We have replaced the fuses, Coils & Module, Spark Plugs and Wires, Fuel Fillter, Fuel Pump and Battery. We also put an additional 10 gals of gas in the tank. We
have tried to reprime the EFI Sytem by turnning the key on to normal run and
alowed to set for 15 to 20 seconds at a time. We have also depletted 2 cans
of starter fluid (engine turns over and starts but dies when starter fluid is removed).
The engine will turn over and we are getting good spark, but no fuel.
What is my next move?
Any ideas or help is greatly appriciated by both of us!

Sponsored Links

05-18-05, 11:42 AM   #2  
my first quick guess is that when you sucked the tank dry, you clogged the fuel filter, or fuel pump (intake) screen. Disconnect the fuel line before the filter if possible and check for presence of fuel there.

05-18-05, 11:52 AM   #3  
with fuel injection the fuel has to be delivered at the correct pressure (usually about 30psi) to function correctly. Although a new fuel pump should have taken care of that. Injector(s) could be plugged. And computor could be failing to signal the injectors to squirt (unlikely). I would see if the fuel line to the injector(s) is pressurerized.

05-18-05, 03:44 PM   #4  
Can ya hear the pump running?
You should be able to.....
Take the fuel cap off and put your ear next to it. Then have someone turn the key to "On" . You should hear bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz for a bout two seconds and then stop.

Visiting Guest

05-18-05, 10:15 PM   #5  
JohnVH
Thank You all for the help!

Good news, after resetting the computer, (disconecting battery ground for at
least 3 minutes) the new pump started pumping gas and the car started and
is running great now. Thank You All again for your help! As allways I can trust
the advice given here!!

Search this Thread