Check Engine Light

Old 05-18-05, 11:42 AM
Check Engine Light

My mother's '83 Caddy just started displaying "Check Engine". Does a car of this age have codes which can be displayed?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-05, 06:09 AM
absolutely...

and you don't need a scan tool OR to short the terminals together to get flas codes.

on the climate control panel, press and hold the "off" and "warmer" buttons...when the display goes whacky, let the buttons go...the codes will come up next. when it's done displaying the codes, it will show "70"...this means it's ready to do other stuff. you can press the off button to exit diagnostics or just turn the key off.

post what you find...and BTW...it's not a cimarron, is it? if it is, none of the above applies...

Old 05-19-05, 06:41 AM
Nope, not a Cimarron, a real Caddy (Fleetwood, I think). I'll check the codes and post back in a day or two. Thanks.

Old 05-23-05, 04:13 AM
Carguyinva - OK, I got the codes with your info. Can you help me learn what they mean? Most of the codes have two decimal points. The first one displayed has me confused. It is either -1.8.8 or 4.8.8 with part of the numeral 4 not showing. Then it shows 39 and next .7.0 I have looked through the shop manual for this car, but I am unable to locate anything concerning decipherying the codes. Do you know what section these should be under, DFI, or what? Thanks.

Old 05-23-05, 05:28 AM
the "1.8.8"...

...is a segment check. the code that's turning the light on is the 39. the "70" that follows means that the system is ready for further diagnostics. the code 39 is a transmission code..."no tcc apply". torque converter lockup is essential during 4th gear operation because there is no cooler flow in OD (4th gear). the converter generates alot of heat when not in lockup...so...no cooler flow + lots of heat due to no lockup = an overheated trans at some point during operation. there are several possibilities...bad solenoid, bad ecm, stuck apply valve, failed seal(s) or a bad converter. the diagnostic routine sorts all of this out and should be in your manual...in section 7A.