2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 Access 4x4 TRD

Old 05-19-05, 10:28 AM
2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 Access 4x4 TRD

After I've stopped, maybe firmly but not necessarily, as soon as I release the brake pedal, there is a definite clunk and I can feel it, like a driveshaft releasing or suspension part coming out of a bind. But Toyota can't feel it. HEY LARRY (or anyone) --ANY IDEAS?? since new no change. Nothing appears loose. Has 16K miles is all.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-05, 12:20 PM
spring slap

I had a 89 Chevrolet pickup that did that found out it was the rear sping pack.(leaf springs) they would move when you brake ,the gap would close between the seperate leafs and when brakes were let go the would slap back.
This was a normal thing I was told.
Maybe Toyota man has another idea.

Old 05-19-05, 01:18 PM
It's probably the driveshaft sliding a bit. My Tahoe does it every time I brake or accelerate harder then necessary.

Old 05-19-05, 02:47 PM
trinitro got it, it's the slip yoke on the drive shaft thatís needs to be lubed, very common and causes no harm.

Inertia carries the eng-trans when stopping, if the splines on the slip yoke bind the eng-trans get stuck forward, when you let off the brake it slides back (5-600 lbs) and you feel as though someone tapped your rear bumper.

Old 05-19-05, 05:52 PM
lubing the yoke

what to use and how to do it--is it just the shaft that goes to the rear meatball? Thank you for you expert help!!

Old 05-19-05, 11:25 PM
It would be lubing the u-joints and slip joint on the drive shaft with a grease gun thatís contains normal chassis grease.

If you pm me your e-mail I can send you a file of the shop manuel.