Turn signal problem

Old 05-20-05, 04:27 AM
Turn signal problem

I have a 1997 Ford 150 pickup truck. When I use the right turn signal sometimes it will blink fast and while the tail light blinks fast also the front light does not come on. At other times it works fine. The brake and 4-way lights appear to work fine.

I replaced the bulb but it is still erratic. Is there something else I can check or should be looking for? The truck is in great condition and has not been abused.

Thx for all comments.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-05, 05:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a 1976 F-100 and occasionaly it does the same thing [also right side] I assume it is in the wiring somewhere. Hasn't done it enough for me to find the problem, infact every time I plan to try and fix it it goes back to working fine.

Old 05-20-05, 07:50 AM
try the switch

hold the switch in different positions while slowly moving the steering wheel back and forth. i had similar problem with '94 taurus. they would flash quickly with the switch in the correct (parked) position but worked fine if held a bit to either side.

Old 05-20-05, 09:30 AM
sounds like the flasher. In the fuse panel.

Old 05-20-05, 04:50 PM
Thx for the responses.

I had some time tonight so I checked the flasher relay by following the clicking noise which I located under the hood, driver's side. I played around with the turn signals and got the same results-once in a while the right turn would behave normal, most of the time it was the fast clicking deal, nothing in front and the rear flashing quickly. I used an identical relay as a test but had the same results. I also changed the bulb again.

I smacked on the drive wheel shroud a few times and got it to go from fast to normal-the ole "jiggle the handle" trick. Does anyone know if this model had a problem in this area or is this typical with Ford pickups? Does anyone know of the correct fix for this?

Thanks again to all.

Old 05-21-05, 02:52 AM
Sounds like you may have a bad ground on that lamp asm.

Old 05-24-05, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the few replies but I don't think the problem has been pinpointed. I'm not satisfied having to jiggle the turn signal lever to get it to work. I'll take it in to an auto electrical shop and get it looked at.

Old 05-24-05, 05:34 AM
I had the same syptoms in my 98' taurus. Finally took it to a mechanic and he found the problem rightaway. Turns out the taurus has a muitifunctional
switch module(?). He replaced it and everything was a go. I guess its acommon thing in todays cars. No more just replacing a fuse,bulb,or flasher
fixes. Check to see if your vehilcle has a similiar switch module.

Old 05-24-05, 05:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If jiggling the turn signal lever fixes the problem I would take the steering wheel off and inspect the signal switch. There could be a bad connection or the piece may be worn where it doesn't stay in place.

Search this Thread