92 honda accord problems, Help Please!

Old 05-20-05, 02:53 PM
mummbles
Visiting Guest
92 honda accord problems, Help Please!

Hi all, I don't know a lot about cars so I could really use the help. I have a 1992 Honda Accord Lx with about 193k+ miles. I know its old but there are two big problems with it:
1)the cars runs fine but at stops it has rough idling so the rpms bounce up and down. This doesn't happen all the time, maybe about 1/2 the time I drive. From people I have spoken to I understand it could be a number of things
2) when my car is parked out in the sun for a long period of time it just will not start, the car will turn over but will not start. It has done this twice and the only remedy was to wait till evening when it was cooler. I'm not sure if heat is the cause though. Sorry if this description is vague i just don't know much about cars so help if you can, thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-05, 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by mummbles
Hi all, I don't know a lot about cars so I could really use the help. I have a 1992 Honda Accord Lx with about 193k+ miles. I know its old but there are two big problems with it:
1)the cars runs fine but at stops it has rough idling so the rpms bounce up and down. This doesn't happen all the time, maybe about 1/2 the time I drive. From people I have spoken to I understand it could be a number of things
2) when my car is parked out in the sun for a long period of time it just will not start, the car will turn over but will not start. It has done this twice and the only remedy was to wait till evening when it was cooler. I'm not sure if heat is the cause though. Sorry if this description is vague i just don't know much about cars so help if you can, thanks everyone!
For #1 you might try running a can of SeaFoam through the gas tank and see what happens. You can get it at NAPA or CarQuest and others. There could be other problems also but always start with the cheapest thing first.
www.seafoamsales.com

For # 2 it sounds like your main relay is bad...common Honda problem.
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub.../aa010301a.htm

Old 07-24-06, 02:37 PM
Lightbulb Vapor Lock

This happened to me as well on a 90 degree day of not running at all so I bet the car was way hotter than that. All I did was unscrew the fuel cap (slowly and carfully because of the pressure) and let the pressure excape and screw it back on. after a couple minutes it should start right up. Its alot cheeper than any other method

Old 07-24-06, 04:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Auto Girli,

You got a problem. Your fuel gas tank fill tube should not be under that kind of pressure. You have some vent blocked. You are flirting with a bomb. Could you imagine you having a passenger with you who is smoking or maybe just on their cell phone, and you pull in for gas, and the passenger goes, "I'll get it"...and they quickly open your cap and....kaBOOOOOOM!