Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

oil change interval

TN

05-21-05, 06:47 PM   #1  
oil change interval

Hi all

I am sure this topic would have been discussed many times here.

I bought a new camry and it says use only 5W30 oil every 5000/7500 per 6 months.

Now I used to go to good year for oil change, they use 10W30 oil and recommend oil change 3000 miles per 3 months times.

I am confused, which oil to use and which time interval to choose.

Is there any difference between oil and filter toyota service uses and other service guys uses?

I am sure all service people uses cheapest oil and filter. Fram makes 3 different kinds of filters reg., TG or EG any recommendation there?

Is ther any shop which only charge for the service/labor if I can bring my own synthetic oil and good filter? Just a thoratical question!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-21-05, 08:11 PM   #2  
ASEPartsman
ASI,

If Toyota recommends 5w30, use 5w30. There was a study done about a year ago by pennzoil showing that on a 6 cyl. engine if 10w30 is used in midwestern climate instead of 5w30 (where 5w30 is specified). In an "average" 12,000 mile year the top of the motor runs dry for 60 minutes. Now I don't know what, where, or how this was tested, I just saw the data.

Technically a 5w30 and 10w30 should be the same weight, the only difference is how it reacts to colder weather which may or may not be an issue were you are. I say go with 5w30, it doesn't cost any more, and it will take any hassle out of possible warranty claims. (NOTE: They can only deny warranty claims for using the wrong weight oil UNLESS they can PROVE that that was what caused the problem.)

As for intervals, look in the owner's manual. They probably recommend 5,000 mile intervals for "ideal" driving conditions. Most peoples driving habit are considered "severe" by these standards. (If you make a lot of short trips, city driving, driving in dusty climates, not letting your engine warm up for at least 45 minutes at least once a week, etc.) With petroleum oil, I would stick to 3,000 or less. Synthetic oil with a good filter, then maybe 5,000. You will probably get Amsoil nuts on here trying to tell you you can change your oil only once a year. Dont get me wrong, Amsoil is awesome oil and doesnt break down, but it still gets dirty! If someone wants to change their oil once a year, thats fine with me. I CAN SELL THEM MORE PARTS!

Also, I would not use a Fram oil filter on my wheelbarrel. They are pretty much the worse made filters. (Also, any filters made by Fram such as Pennzoil, etc.) If you are bored sometime, cut one open and see if you want that protecting your new car. Use a good filter like Puralator, Wix, Bosch, Mobil 1, etc.

Call around to some oil change places, most will put your oil/filter in for a nominal charge. Otherwise, there are many rescources out there to help you do it yourself and save some cash...

GOOD LUCK!

05-21-05, 09:18 PM   #3  
[QUOTE=ASEPartsman]ASI,

Also, I would not use a Fram oil filter on my wheelbarrel. They are pretty much the worse made filters. (Also, any filters made by Fram such as Pennzoil, etc.)

He hit the nail on the head. If they would put a fraction of what they spend on advertizing in their filters they could make a good filter.

05-21-05, 09:20 PM   #4  
Use Toyota's specs and schedule
And heed ASEPartsman's advice
Most people don't realize stuff like a 7 minute comute to work is severe service
I'd use Toyota filters too , if you can
Or the other's mentioned
I'd also stay away from Fram
They are not what they used to be

TN

05-21-05, 09:40 PM   #5  
thanks guys, it is very fast here. I have to wait 2 hours for oil change!!

Will my warrnty be voided if do my service from other shop lets say good year oil and lube?

Only reason I used to go there cost. I can save $ 10 per oil change /per visit there compare to toyota service.

I mostly make city miles and short trips which make me in the hard driving conditions. I only drive 2000 miles per 3 months. I think because of that it is better to stick with 3 months/3000 miles policy.

I don't know which oil brand and filter good year oil uses and how well it does compare to toyota oil and filter? I want to see whether it is worth while to spend that $ 10 on toyota service. I live in TN so not very cold here. In the beginning I want to use syn. so atleast it will take of engine. I will call around and ask if they will do the service if bring my own oil and filter.

Could any one tell me how much oil Camry V4 takes?

By the way, I was talking about Fram Double gaurd and Extended gaurd filters which looks good atleast from the picture. I will go tomorrow to the auto shop and ask them if some one can show me a cut samples form different filters.

By they way what do you guys think of K&N or toyota filters? K&N are the most expensive filters that I have came across so far. Mobil filters are same price as Fram.

asi

05-21-05, 10:02 PM   #6  
The 3/3K is probably a good idea for your driving
If your dealer is only $10 more I'd consider using them
I use Toyota or sometimes NAPA Gold (which I think is Wix) on Toyotas
I have used K&N air filters for years, I've never tried their oil filters
I'd expect it to be a good product
The synthetic route is a good option considering your car is so new
Just don't listen to the hype and think you only need to change it every 10K

TN

05-21-05, 10:26 PM   #7  
thanks slickshif

How much I expect to pay for sevice shop if I bring my own oil +filter?

Do you know how many quart, camry takes? I am trying to figure it out cost of syn. oil.

I found 5W30 syn. oil by mobil only, does any one else also make that?

05-22-05, 03:28 AM   #8  
I would use only OEM filters, especially on a vehicle that is in warranty. Why give them a scapegoat to put fault on if a failure occurs.

Your Camry should take 3.9 qts, look in your manual to be sure. I would not use syn to break it in, wait 10-12k first. With your driving pattern I would stay with 3K/3 month and conventional l oil. Your going to build contaminates you want to get out of there.

05-22-05, 03:54 AM   #9  
All the above replies are correct, I agree that if it only cost $10 more for a OEM oil change you should go with that/thats cheap insurance/especially since the OEM will have the records of every oil change you have ever had. If somthing goes wrong they will prob work with you better if your are a freq. customer.(they know youv'e takin care of your car). Ask the guy changing your oil to look at the oil that comes out of your car when you have it changed. If it still looks good then your changing it freq. enough, if its blacker than normal or dirty looking you might consider moving your mileage schedule up a little.

05-22-05, 04:48 AM   #10  
Stick with the factory filters. YOu get what you pay for.

Try shopping around different toyota dealers for their oil change pricing.
It costs me 16 dollars to change the oil on my own chevy truck, that's buying the oil at walmart and using an factory filter bought with my employee discount.
My girlfriend gets her honda accord oil changed at the dealer for 21.95. I have often mused about how I am going to start taking my truck there for oil changes.

Sometimes dealers will keep the prices of their oil changes low to get you in the door. And then try and upsell you additional services. Stick with what the owner's manual says, and don't let the dealer deviate from it.

TN

05-23-05, 01:33 PM   #11  
I called different service shops like walmart, pepboy or good year and asked would they do the oil/filter service If I bring my own supplies, answer was yes and it cost more or less 15 + tax.

I called 2 toyota dealer/service shops in my area and asked what oil and filter do they use?

One uses regular 10W30 mobil 1 oil and toyota filter for $ 28 + tax and can use synt. (mobil 1 synt) if customre wants for $ 61 + tax. other one same story but uses 5W30 oil. I asked toyota service manager if they would do the service if bring my own oil and filter and how much is the labor costs? Answer was yes they will do it and labor cost is $ 10.

Previously I had 01 camry and it has recommendations to use either 5W30 or 10W30 oil and now my 05 cmary manual says to use only 5W30 oil. I asked the toyota service about it but they said 10W30 is better for TN weather conditons. I don't what to make out of it.

I also asked what is peculiar about toyota filter (OEM), they said it has Anti Drain Back Valve but it is still paper filter and it cost $ 5.51at toyota parts. I serached online and found many people speaks very highly of mobil 1 and K&N gold filters and both of them use syn. material instead of paper. K&N gold also has Anti Drain Back Valve and both of them cost like $ 10.

Q. Does it make sense if bring my own oil (synt. mobil 1 5W30) and oil filter (K&N gold) and do the service at toyota service shop? There will be still record of my service and what I have been using in my car. I hope this will not effect my warranty.
This way it will cost me ($10 filter + $ 10 labor + $ 20 synt. oil + tax) compare to $ 28 +tax of service package at toytoa.
Any suggestions please.

05-23-05, 02:41 PM   #12  
The answer is still the same. First we as a dealer would not install that K&N filter, if we did you would have to sign a waiver that Toyota would not be responsible for any damage, leaks etc.

The best filter is still the OEM especially if still in warranty. I could give you a handful of reasons if you have an oil related failure if you have that K&N filter, to restrictive, gasket not to spec, drain back valve not the right size.

TN

05-23-05, 03:57 PM   #13  
thanks larry. Now it is clear, I will go to the toyota dealer for oil change.

Does it matter to use 10w30 ( which my local toyota service uses ) compare to 5w30 which my toyota manual says?

05-23-05, 04:13 PM   #14  
Calls for 5w-30 and thats what it should be, period. There is no exclusions

Search this Thread