Holley Carb idle screws

Old 05-22-05, 04:01 PM
Holley Carb idle screws

I have a dodge 360 with a 2 bbl holley carb. How many turns out should I set the idle mixture screws?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-05, 05:52 AM
ideally...

...idle mixture should be set with propane. you start with an arbitrary number of turns...then you gradually add propane. if when you add propane, the idle speed goes down (yeah...you need a tachometer for this), it's too rich...lean each screw the same amount, then add propane again.

the goal is to get a 7-10% increase in idle RPM.

example...base idle speed is 500 RPM.

7-10% = 35 to 50 RPM

when adding propane gradually, a maximum increase should be in the 35-50 window...once you reach the maximum rpm from propane enrichment, the rpms will begin to drop

doing this usually takes a while and will require that you go back and forth from doing the enrichment to adjusting the idle speed. be sure that the base idle spedd is correct when you are done so it doesn't diesel when turned off. also...make sure your ignition timing is correct before you start adjusting the mixture.

Old 05-24-05, 07:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
what?.. I've worked on cars for over 40 years and never heard that one.. propane?.. we turn the screws 1 1/2 turns for starters.. you can use a glass of water on the fender if you want to adjust it to a smooth idle.. from the 1 1/2 turn, you can just about ear it in as good as it gets.. on a two barrel for sure..

Old 05-25-05, 04:18 AM
Thanks. I contacted Holley and they also said 1-1/2 turns out to start.

Old 05-25-05, 06:38 AM
yeah...

...i've done it the shade tree way too...which works fine if emissions isn't a concern.