toyota t-100 alternator hook up question

Old 05-22-05, 05:31 PM
toyota t-100 alternator hook up question

I have a '95 toyota t-100 v6 I took the battery terminals apart to clean them and didnt mark things there is one cable that Im not sure if it goes to positve or neg

it hooks up to the bottom of the fuse panel then to a screw terminal on the alternator

from the bend in the cable it could go to either terminal but it seems to fir better on the positive.

when I put my VOM on to continity I have continuity to neg but not to positve with this cable

would there be a cable from the neg terminal to the side of the alternator ?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-05, 06:06 PM
It has to go to the pos cable, There are no neg wires in the fuse panel, by any chance is the wire white?

Old 05-22-05, 06:23 PM
yes it is,white with blue stripe

ilooking more closley it clips to the bottom of the fuse panel and then runs up the backside and enters the fuse box .

so It needs to go to the positive then ?

Old 05-22-05, 06:28 PM
There should be continuity to positive, not negative. Is that right toyotaman?

Old 05-22-05, 06:31 PM
It all depends on how you perform the test, White/blue is a power wire.

Old 05-22-05, 06:55 PM
toyotaman11769

THANK YOU , I didnt want to hook it up wrong and fry alternator but I need it in the morning .

I am testing , touching one lead of the VOM to the wire in question , the other to either the neg battery wire or the screw where it grounds to the fender , I get continuity either way which makes sense as I assume I am compleating a circuit. through the fuse panel

if I touch the wire in question to the heavy red battery wire there is no continuity , (i tried it both key on or off )

you know I ALWAYS mark , make diagrams evan take digital pictures , except today ,

anyway thanks again

Old 05-22-05, 07:01 PM
Never check for continuity on a live circuit with an ohm meter.

Use your ohm meter on that wire and the other lead to the pos term of the alt and you should have continuity.

Old 05-22-05, 07:29 PM
battery is disconnected , so no power going to anything

I do have continuity from the wire in question to what looks like a white wire going to a stud on the side of the alternator.

positive term ?

I also have continuity from the same alternator stud to the ground wire that should be on the battery .(but is presently disconnected )

Old 05-22-05, 09:15 PM
I may be wrong but it sounds like you have a short to ground with a blown fuse link coming from battery to the white or white/blue wire. Oddly enough, the wiring diagram at autozone.com shows the positive battery cable being black, doesnt say what color the negative wire is. I might have been looking at the wrong diagram because it doesn't show a white/blue wire.

Did you have some kind of problem or just doing maintenance?

Old 05-23-05, 03:54 AM
the battery was dead , when I looked the cables where dirty so I took them apart to clean before trying to jumpstart

the previos owner had the cables going to aftermarket terminals , the type with a strap in the back for the cable to go under . in this case the cables have crimp on ring connectors and these rings are bolted to the terminal with the bolts that hold the strap on

i am sure about the primary positive and negitive cables , it was just this one cable I was questioning

currrently I have one cable to ground and three to positive , The thick red one I am sure about , the white one in question and a small red one that I was also sure about .(looks like it was added by the previos owner to power a light in the cap )

when I went to start fri morning it cranked slow , I drove to a job 60 miles away when I came out I noticed slow cranking . I didnt start the truck sat , sun afternoon I thouhgt I better try it .

after I hooked everything back up last night I did notice the light was on on the radio evan with the key off so I suppose that could be what was drawing the battery down .

battery is of unkown age , I bought the truck used about 4 years ago and the battery was in the truck at the time .

Old 05-23-05, 01:47 PM
It sounded like you had a 12V to ground short.
Did you get the wire hooked back up and get the truck back on the road?

Old 05-23-05, 06:39 PM
hooked it up this morning and everything seems to be working fine ,

thanks for the help