Gas in oil?

Old 05-25-05, 04:21 PM
Gas in oil?

At my last oil change, I had an oil analysis done. The report came back with the comment "Fuel dilution indicated". In the table under "Percent" "Fuel" the number is 3. I assume this means three percent of the sample was gasoline? Isn't that awfully high? What kind of a problem might this indicate?

The vehicle is a 2002 Chrysler Voyager with a 3.3 V6 and it had 18,000 miles when the sample was taken. I should add that the oil change was done in March, at the end of the winter driving season. Also that about 75% of my driving is "town" driving.

Thanks.....

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-05, 03:24 AM
I wouldn't be to concerned about it, thats one of the reasons you change your oil as it does get a certain amount of fuel mixed with it. if your vehicle was running rich for some reason the amount of fuel in the oil would be alot higher and often can cause the oil level to raise.

Old 05-26-05, 05:50 AM
in town...

....short trip driving will cause dilution. that qualifies for severe driving and so the oil should be changed every 3000 or 3 months...according to the manufacturer. diluted oil doesn't provide nearly as good lubricity or pressure handling characteristics...which can lead to eventual engine damage. keep it serviced...

Old 05-26-05, 06:46 AM
Yes, thank you. I change it every 3,000 miles. I'm just wondering if three percent is abnormally high? If it is what might cause it? Thanks...