Best R-134a Recharge brand for coldest AC?

Old 05-27-05, 03:14 AM
aw89maxSE
Visiting Guest
Best R-134a Recharge brand for coldest AC?

Well I have a old system that use to have r-12 in it, but I converted it to r-134a awhile back, probably about a year ago and it was cold for a long time and then it stopped being cold so we thought there was a leak and we recharged it will some leak stopper/recharge can and it seemed to be cold but not as cold as a year ago. I remember using two different brands and so I am maybe thinking that the brands might have something to do with it. Also, the AC condensor is fine so I don't believe that has anything to do with it. For those out there who have recharge their r-134a AC, let me know which brand you used or what worked the best.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-05, 06:30 AM
vwbr
Visiting Guest
Did you change out the dryer when you changed over to the new refigerant. You may need to do this if you didn't. The brand I used was whatever they had at walmart, its ice cold.

Old 05-27-05, 10:05 AM
I can't recommend a brand... but what I look for is r134 that has NO leak sealer and has no red dye in it. R134 systems should only have r134 refrigerant, compatible lubricant, and maybe UV dye -- nothing else.

The last time I was at WalMart, the shelves were filled top to bottom with r134 that had stop leak in it. A person would have to be crazy to use that stuff.

Old 05-27-05, 10:45 AM
aw89maxSE
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by vwbr
Did you change out the dryer when you changed over to the new refigerant. You may need to do this if you didn't. The brand I used was whatever they had at walmart, its ice cold.
Don't know what a Dryer is . The reason I bought the stop leak or leak filler was because I thought I might have had a leak due to there not being much refrigerant left.

Old 05-27-05, 11:08 AM
The only proper conversion is where the leak is fixed, the system flushed of old lubricant, dryer replaced, vacuum pulled, and THEN recharged with r134. Any steps omitted are a shortcut that'll lead to a system that will last only a short while, usually from acids that form by leaving air and old lubricant in the system.

The stop leak works by reacting with air. As it escapes through the leak, it starts gumming up until the leak is plugged. If you left any air in the system - which I suspect you did - the stop leak will destroy your system to the point that EVERYTHING needs to be replaced.

Old 05-27-05, 11:15 AM
you obviously do have a leak but its doubtful that any leak sealer will help the problem occasionaly it will slow a very small leak but usually it will not help the problem.
there is no brand difference other than the sealers and oil or dye that they may put in the can with the freon.
chances are the reason it isnt as cool as before is due to not enough freon system still low or the system may have air in it from not vacum down the system or bleeding the lines before filling.

Search this Thread