1987 Grand AM won't start

Old 05-28-05, 05:07 PM
rsjax1
Visiting Guest
1987 Grand AM won't start

This morning the car was running a little rough. This afternoon I checked the fuses because my auto door locks were not working. After that, the car would not start. I believe it is electrical, however I am not ruling out a fuel problem. When I look down the carbureator (Throttle Body injection), I could not see any fuel while tying to start. I have read that the injector has an 8 year life.... Could it go bad without too much warning?

Thanks
Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-05, 05:35 PM
Are you saying the starter doesn't crank the engine or the engine turns over but doesn't start? Try jump starting it if the engine isn't turning over.

Old 05-28-05, 05:40 PM
rsjax1
Visiting Guest
Sorry.... The car cranks, but no ignition..

Old 05-28-05, 05:57 PM
It could be a bad fuel pump fuse, relay, ignition switch, fuel filter, or maybe some other things i'm not thinking of right now. Can you hear the fuel pump running with key at the on position?

Old 05-28-05, 06:13 PM
rsjax1
Visiting Guest
When the ignition key is turned on, I hear a click and then another click about a second or two later. Nothing running.

Where is the fuel pump fuse located? Is it a fusable link?

Old 05-28-05, 06:59 PM
Did you check for a spark ?

Old 05-28-05, 07:05 PM
rsjax1
Visiting Guest
Not yet. I'm still thinking it is electrical. I checked all the fuses today. In looking at the owners manual there are several fuses in question. First thing tomorrow, I am going to replace the fuel pump and ECM fuse with a new one. The car had been running fine. It is just too wierd.. Looking at fuses and then the car don't run. I'm thinking a fuse somewhere else (possibly fusable link) is blown.

Thanks
Ron

Old 05-28-05, 07:28 PM
Yes I would start with the fuses.
My brothers Pontiac I don't remember the year, has a fuel pump relay that sends power to the fuel pump, if after 5 seconds the oil pressure does not go up the relay will remove power from the pump.
That may be the click you hear. Drivers side near the shock tower ?
Black square relay its very-very rare for the relay to go bad.

He replaces the fuel pump about every 6 years.
He has to drop the tank to replace the pump about 4 hours.

Old 05-28-05, 07:54 PM
What engine size is it? If its the 2.5L the fuse is #12(25amp).

Old 05-28-05, 08:03 PM
rsjax1
Visiting Guest
It is 2.5L, however fuse #12 (in the fuse block) is a 5amp for Instrument panel and console lights.

#2 is the 25amp for the fuel pump. I'm going to be replacing this in the morning. I will post the results.

Let me know if the #12 fuse is not in the fuse block.

Thanks

Old 05-28-05, 08:26 PM
I was going by the wiring diagram from autozone.com. Are you refering to the fuse block inside the car or engine compartment? I guess it doesn't matter if you found the right fuse. You might wanna check #12 in the engine compartment as well though. Or just check for 12V at the relay from the org/blk wire or voltage at the pump. You can find a wire diagram plus other repair info at www.autozone.com.
Just click on repair info and enter the make, model, etc.

Old 05-29-05, 07:09 AM
rsjax1
Visiting Guest
A big thank you all for all of the assistance. I replace the 25amp fuse in the fuse block (fuel pump fuse), with a brand new fuse and it is working. Don't know why. The old fuse looks and checks out good.

Thanks again.