Screeching A/C Belt

Old 05-29-05, 03:55 AM
hayless
Visiting Guest
Screeching A/C Belt

I've just installed a vintage air system on my street rod. I bought the compressor about 4 years ago while modifying brackets to install. Finally got around to charging the system, but when I engage the compressor (Sanden) on the control panel I have a loud screeching noise. I have a serpentine belt running all accessories. When I engage the compressor the belt seems to stop and not turning around compressor pulley. I sprayed the front of the compressor clutch with WD 40 which helps noise for about 30 min. but it reappears. System is cooling. Compressor cycles off/on, but screeching starts again when WD 40 wears off. Could the compressor be bad? Any help is very appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-05, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by hayless
... When I engage the compressor the belt seems to stop and not turning around compressor pulley. ... System is cooling.
Your description is too vague. If your belt stops turning the pulley, then the system could not be cooling.

If the belt 'is' turning, but the only problem is noise, then I would suggest you get a straight edge and check the alignment of your pulleys affected by the same belt. If they are not aligned, then align them.