Anti-Lock, Service Engine Soon, Trac Off - 01 Alero

Old 05-29-05, 07:18 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Anti-Lock, Service Engine Soon, Trac Off - 01 Alero

I've got an 2001 Olds Alero and my Anti-Lock, Service Engine Soon, Trac Off lights come on whenever I get up to 5mph. and they stay on until next time I start the car.

When we first noticed the problem you could hear a little humming sound for a couple of seconds when you slowed down to about 10mph. You could also feel it in the brake pedal slightly.

That has all gone away by itself now but the lights always come on. The brakes seem to work fine.

I took it to Auto Zone to have them scan it but they said only the dealer could help me with that one. Of course the dealer wants about $76 to scan it and then who knows how much they might want to fix it. Midas said they could scan it for about $65 (I'm including the taxes in these numbers).

I checked the brake fluid, and added an ounce or 2 but it looks fine. I checked the wiring to the sensors and that looked good. My latest set of brake pads put out a lot of dust. I used an air hose and blew out around the sensors except you can't really get a good look at the sensors without taking some things apart that I don't want to (so it seems).

Any ideas?

Can I just reset the Computer somehow? And if so, how do I do it?

Thanks!

Old 05-30-05, 03:34 AM
Resetting the computer won't help. The light will go off when the problem is fixed. Most likely a dirty or defective brake sensor on one of the wheels. Pulling codes might indicate which wheel is setting the code, which would speed up your repair process.

Old 06-01-05, 03:11 PM
O
Thank you.

Old 06-01-05, 03:20 PM
J
Autozone should be able to scan for the service engine soon light.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: