94 crown vic

Old 05-29-05, 08:11 AM
JayK
Visiting Guest
94 crown vic

Wife's 94 crown vic sometimes won't shift out of park. sometimes jiggling the shift lever and/or very lighting holding foot on brake will allow it to shift to reverse or drive. No shifting problems thereafter. Our repair shop indicated if the brakes lights don't come on, which they don't the problem is with some type of "lockout' feature?? Am looking to sell/trade so don't want to put lots o money in car. What is it I need to replace and is this something as fair mechanic I can do?
JayK

Old 05-29-05, 01:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In an Automatic trans a lever known as the "parking lock pawl" mechanically locks the output shaft of the trans by slotting into the parking lock gear. If this has been become damaged then it may be hard to disengage. The brakes play no part in this - it is fully within the trans. If this is the case unfortunately as far as I'm aware the only way to fix would be to remove and disassemble the trans to get at the park lever and to examine if it is damaged.

Old 05-29-05, 07:31 PM
The brake lights are part of the shift lock. If they do not work as stated

Our repair shop indicated if the brakes lights don't come on which they don't the problem is with some type of "lockout' feature??
It will not release out of park. Maybe a blown brake light fuse or brake light sw.

Old 05-29-05, 08:43 PM
Yes - forgot about the shift lock. Sounds like this is the more likely cause in which fixing it should be much easier.

Old 06-01-05, 06:27 PM
JayK
Visiting Guest
crown vic

Originally Posted by toyotaman11769
The brake lights are part of the shift lock. If they do not work as stated

It will not release out of park. Maybe a blown brake light fuse or brake light sw.
I have checked the fuses and none are blown. What is "sw".
Since it will go into gear after 'playing' with the shift lever; what ever is wrong isn't completely broke just partially. Other suggestions are appreciated.
Jayk

Old 06-01-05, 06:40 PM
Brake light switch

Old 06-01-05, 06:49 PM
JayK
Visiting Guest
crown vic

where is the brake light switch? if replacement is needed what mechanic skill level is needed? thanks again

Old 06-04-05, 02:00 PM
R
Look under the dash on the brake pedal it has one plug and a pin through it. Pull the pin out and slide the switch out noting where or how many bushings are in it.Very easy to do i had the same problem with a Lincoln Town Car. That is the cheapest to try first, and the most common problem.......GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: