Major troubles with 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Old 05-29-05, 02:39 PM
writejr
Visiting Guest
Major troubles with 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE

I just know someone out there can help me with this. I have taken my car to a local Pontiac dealership about 6 times now and they have still not diagnosed/corrected the problem.

Here's how it usually starts. My car will be fine for a few weeks. Then I will start hearing a rapid clicking sound in the dash - behind the flasher switch. Not too many days after that I will turn the car on and the security light will come on - not flash, but stay lit - until I park the car and shut off the engine. The next time i turn the car on the light will go off. Normally after this happens within 2 or 3 days the car breaks down. When I say break down, it happens different ways. Sometimes it will just quit while I'm driving down the interstate and not start back up. Other times I will park it somewhere and it will not start back up.

One thing i have noticed is that any time it will not start, when I turn the key to the "on" position I do not hear the fuel pump kick in - normally I can hear it. I have had the fuel lines tested and the fuel pump - both are okay. I have also replaced the fuel pump relay but it didn't seem to help. The flasher switch has also been replaced. The local dealership says there is nothing wrong with my car's computer and that they cannot pull up any codes when they scan it.

Does anyone have ANY IDEA as to what could be causing this?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Old 05-30-05, 12:04 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just a few shots in the dark.......someone else may have a better idea.

The security system may have a problem causing the fuel pump to be disabled. I'm not sure is there is anyway you could quicky disconnect it when the problem occurs or bypass it somehow to figure out if thats the problem.

If you have the kind of key that is programmed, try another key if you have one and/or remove the key from the key ring and try to start it.

Another shot in the dark....faulty or dirty ignition switch.

It's odd that you did not mention any problems when you hear the clicking sound. It might not be related to the starting problem. Next time you hear it, operate everything electrical in the car you can think of, horn, power windows, turn signals, hazzard flashers, etc. and see if something doesn't work or the alarm light is doing anything. Is the engine on, what position is the key in, are any doors open when you hear the clicking? Could be a battery saver relay.

Old 05-30-05, 03:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As Jeff mentioned, check out your security system, or by pass it.

Old 05-30-05, 06:30 PM
writejr
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice

I appreciate the feedback from both of you. That is a good possibility - that the security system is somehow disabling the fuel system. I think I'll try approahing it from that angle and see what happens. I do have the keyless entry remote - and the key is on the same ring as the remote so I'll try removing it the next time it happens.

If anyone has any more ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: