91 Camry low power on acceleration

Old 05-31-05, 01:13 PM
kenjo
Visiting Guest
91 Camry low power on acceleration

I have recently aquired a 1991 toyota camry with 161K miles. When accelerating, it will chug for a little while, then kick in and go just fine. This is an internittent problem, and only happens sometimes, although it seems to be getting worse as the days go by. I have changed the air filter and just put new spark plugs in, as well as dumped a bottle of that fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank, none of which did any good. I'm thinking of the fuel filter next, and I'm hoping it's not the fuel injectors. I read somewhere about an EGR problem on this model which might be the case... I keep going back to the fuel injectors, because that's sort of what it feels like, but then it seems that people with fuel injector problems usually report trouble starting or idling too.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-31-05, 04:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does it happen after it sits for a while or after its runs for a few minutes in the morning?

Old 06-01-05, 06:15 AM
kenjo
Visiting Guest
It seems to happen more after it sits for a while. But it still happens after it's been warmed up, just not as much.
Also, If it's sputtering like that, and I really stomp on the gas, most of the time it will kick out of it and accelerate just fine.

Old 06-01-05, 07:20 AM
I would check for any codes, jump out Te&E1 in the check connector and read the blinks of the check eng light.

It must have OEM ignition wires and at this mileage the coils go bad and cause this condition.

Old 06-01-05, 07:28 AM
kenjo
Visiting Guest
I have a book that tells the check engine light codes, so I'll check it out and see if it says anything. For some reason I was under the impression that if there were any codes, the check engine light would be on the whole time the car was running.
So basically, the wires could have made the ignition coil go bad? Does that mean I would need to replace just the ignition coil, or the wires too? (I'm guessing it wouldn't do much good to replace the coil without replacing the wires)

Old 06-01-05, 08:10 AM
The light could be out but codes stored, very easy to find out and ask ECM who is watching all the time for a problem.

MUST USE OEM Toyota wires/cap assy and coil

Old 06-02-05, 11:23 AM
kenjo
Visiting Guest
I'll give it a try and see what it tells me.
Oh, another thing that a friend of mine mentioned that it could be is a throttle position sensor... something else to think about at least.

Old 06-03-05, 06:14 AM
kenjo
Visiting Guest
Well, I checked the engine codes, and it came out normal. Is there any way I can check the ignition assembly to see if it's bad before I spend $160 on a new one?
I'm pretty sure it needs replacing anyway, so I'll probably end up doing it regardless.

Old 06-03-05, 08:49 AM
If you hold a drop light at an angle look for “lighting marks” around the high tension terminal on the epoxy coating. Are the cap and wires OEM Toyota?

Old 06-03-05, 01:05 PM
kenjo
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure if they're OEM or not... I have only owned the car a short time. How can I find out?

Old 06-03-05, 01:28 PM
They are going to have the clyinder # and will have the year of manufacture in 4 digit form, May have the name Sumitomo or yazaki and cap should say IIa, if it says Italy your in trouble.

Old 06-04-05, 03:28 PM
kenjo
Visiting Guest
they say "sumitoma 1993" on them, along with the cylinder number. So they are OEM. The cap as well.
You said "MUST USE OEM Toyota wires/cap assy and coil"... is there something wrong with using other brands of wires?

Old 06-04-05, 04:09 PM
If you where to replace those "1993" OEM that are 12 years old with a new set of aftermarket wires the best wires just where put in the trash.

I have seen aftermarket wires installed as PM only to cause problems 6 months down the road, time and time again. There is no problem using aftermarket as long as you ready for problems in the very near future.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: