hydraulic lifter removal and reinstall?

Old 06-01-05, 08:48 AM
hydraulic lifter removal and reinstall?

I am doing a valve job on a car with an overhead cam that has hydraulic lifters stuck in the ends of the rocker arms.

I took the rocker arm shafts off with rocker arms and lifters in place and put the whole assembly in a plastic bag. The lifters are stored vertically as they would be in the car.

Is there any thing else I should do? What about reinstalling them? I have gotten all sorts of advice. Some does not make sense to me, so I am coming here for more.

I have heard that I should hand-crank the engine before I start it to pump up the lifters. This may make sense to assure that I have the timing belt on correctly, but hand cranking it will not raise the oil pressure perceptibly above zero.

I have also heard that I should let it sit overnight before I crank it to bleed down the lifters. I took the head off with no. 1 at tdc and it looks like all 16 valves are closed or nearly closed at that time. One and four are at the top of the stroke and 2 and 3 look like they are at the bottom. The point is all 16 lifters cannot be equally compressed by sitting.

What should I do and what does pump up and bleed down mean?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-05, 08:13 PM
It would be helpful to know what you are working on??

Old 06-02-05, 02:59 AM
if your not going to replace them just reinstall the rocker shaft when putting back together no real reason to take them out of the rocker unless you are replacing them.
you may want to replace them if they are making noise or not allowing a valve to close if you were not having any of these problems previously then they should be fine to reinstall.

Old 06-02-05, 10:30 AM
Car Nut

It is a '93 mazda protege with 1.8l sohc, 16 v, 5 spd w/ 92k + mi, red with a tear in the headliner and the seatbelt warning buzzer and light come on randomly. It needs brake pads, but since it cannot be driven I am putting that off. It is parked in my garage and covered with dusty cat foot prints, since my cats sleep on it. It has been beat to hell. the roof has a dent where a kid jumped on it. It has been hit on both sides in parking lots. The grill and hood where replaced by an insurance company because I was lucky enough to be in it when someone backed into it a couple years ago.

I am curious how that additional info. helps you.

Old 06-02-05, 05:02 PM
There are thousands of combinations of vehicles and engines out there with different valve trains. If some one is going to try to give you specific information in responce to your question they need to know what vehicle & engine you are working on. If you would take time to read the 2nd stickey note from the top it tells you to give as much information about the vehicle as you can.

For example if someone asked you how to get the water pump off their car how could you help them?