92 Nissan Maxima SE 5Spd Clutch????

Old 06-01-05, 11:38 AM
jenn3366
Visiting Guest
92 Nissan Maxima SE 5Spd Clutch????

Twin Cam 6 cyldr 5 speed - I have recently had problems with my master cylinder and my mechanic decided to tighten the lines so that the car could go into gear. While driving home last night the car was revving extremely high but it wasn't moving anywhere. At one point I was driving 40km in 5th gear and revving at 4000rpms!!! I also started to smell like rubbing burning (i assume clutch burning). Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and knows a solution. I have been told I may need to replace the clutch and it could run me 800$$$. This is a 92! I might as well buy a new car.

Old 06-01-05, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
You didn't say how many miles or if the clutch had ever been replaced, but it sounds like it's time for a new clutch. Shop around; that $800 figure sounds a little steep. Not sure what lines the mechanic could have tightened to affect the clutch. Pretty sure you have a hydraulic clutch in that beast. Probably has an adjustment at the slave cylinder to adjust pedal engagement position. Assuming he didn't overadjust it and cause the slipping, time for a new clutch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: