2000 Toyota Noisy New Brakes

Old 06-03-05, 07:54 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2000 Toyota Noisy New Brakes

Had new Wagner brakes installed on a 2000 Toyota Avalon about five weeks ago and they are making noise. Recently when I press the brakes lightly at slower speeds I hear a grrrr, grrrr, grrrr. The sound occurs faster or slower, depending on the car's speed. Hear it both sides but louder on one side than the other. Only hear it when I very LIGHTLY press the brakes. Pressing harder or not at all I do not hear the noise. At a very slow creep (idle speed) the sound is a creaky scratchy sound and is definitely in the brakes. Took it to the young mechanic who installed them and he is puzzled. The car drives straight with no pulling to left or right and no shimmy, etc. Tires are newer. Should I worry? Should I ignore? Did he goof up???? I am a woman but am aware of new noises on my cars and like to be preventive in maintenance. Thanks.

Last edited by JayPete; 06-03-05 at 07:56 PM. Reason: change wording
Old 06-04-05, 06:06 AM
Most likely the pad material. Always use OEM Toyota pads if noise would be a concern. Also did he use all the shims and hardware?

Old 06-08-05, 11:43 AM
J
Used no shims

Checked with the guy and he did NOT install the shims. Noisier now than before. We're taking the car to our Toyota dealer and have new brakes installed. This guy is a pleasant fellow but not a certified mechanic. I tried to talk DH out of taking the car to him but DH is a slow learner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: