'01 Chevy Malibu Tranny Swap out

Old 10-16-08, 05:42 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
'01 Chevy Malibu Tranny Swap out

I want to do a tranny swap on '01 Malibu (200,000 mi)
It's slipping but the engine, exterior and interior are great and it gets 30 mpg highway.

My concerns are the following:

Should I go with new, rebuilt or junk yard unit?

What can I expect to pay for new, rebuilt or junk yard unit and is there a reputable online company I can order one from.

And these are sealed units, how do I add the correct amount of fluid after the swap out? There is no dip stick but does have a fill cap.

Old 10-16-08, 06:11 PM
G
I myself would replace it with a re-built .Gm calls them certa's, this way it is just as good as new and it guaranteed . Most of the time salvage yards charge by how many miles are on the trany less miles, more money,I have had trouble before with junk yard tranys and you don't want to replace it twice. As of price my best estimate would be $500-700 used,$1700-2200 rebuilt. One problem is if you do it yourself gm only warrantys there tranys if the trans cooler is flushed be a special machine that gives out a code which u must then send to them. So if you do go rebuilt u might seek elsewhere for one

Old 10-16-08, 06:15 PM
G
as of fluid level. there is a plug on the trany near the pan, but a couple inches up on the case, passenger side. To check fluid, start car ,take out plug,and fill trany till it comes out the plug hole.make sure car is running and in park. The fill hole is a little red cap on top

Old 10-17-08, 04:51 PM
M
Is that $1,700 ~$2,200 installed or plus installation?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: