99 Cougar V6 check engine light

Old 06-04-05, 01:11 PM
99 Cougar V6 check engine light

Well, once again the CEL on my daughters 99 Cougar V6 is on. Last time it was all four O2 sensors and an air leak in the intake manifold. This time I am getting the P-401 code---"Exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient detected". Is this the EGR valve gone bad? Thought I should get some professional guidance before I start throwing parts at it. Thanks in advance for any help.

HM1950

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-05, 01:34 PM
Try cleaning out the intake where the EGR is bolted on at, this is a comon problem. If it is clear i would start with an EGR selinoid.

Old 06-10-05, 06:11 PM
The fact that insufficient flow can be detected means that there is a sensor involved, which may or may not be seperate from the valve itself in this car. Often it is just a faulty sensor, not the valve. I believe it is an electronic valve in this car so there is no easy way to check it without a scan tool, but a shop can easily tell you if the valve is working.

Old 06-13-05, 08:53 AM
Problem solved

Thanks for the help. I just thought I would let you know the outcome. While cleaning exhaust passages, I found that the passage in the front of the intake manifold, behind the throttle body, was clogged solid with deposits. I don't know why the MIL didn't come on a loong time ago! Anyway, I gave the throttle body a good bath in TB cleaner and the same for the exhaust passage. After eight drive cycles, the MIL did not come on so I considered it fixed. So, until it comes on again...thank you and so long.

HM1950