'92 GEO prizm makes noise...

Old 06-05-05, 09:07 AM
nolagato
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb '92 GEO prizm makes noise...

I was driving along when suddenly my '92 GEO prizm (auto trans) starts to balk (as if it were out of gas), and then shutter (as if the transmission slips), and then STOPS. After checking the gas and battery cable, I restart the car, put it in drive, give it some gas and hear a clunking noise as if the transmission is falling apart. I then call a tow truck to get the car home. When the the tow truck driver lowers the flat bed to unload the car, it rolls off the bed although the gear shift is in PARK. The driver says the problem is a bad axle. If this is the case, is replacing the axle something best left to professionals???.......PLEASE HELP.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-05, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like it very well could be an axle shaft. Whether you do it yourself depends on what you are willing to tackle. It involves raising the car, removing the brake assemply, separating the ball joint (which can be difficult), removing the axle from the spindle (as above), and then removing it from the transmission (as above). In a shop it is a relatively minor operation, costing, in Canada at least, under $250.