Car keeps dying...Frustrated

Old 06-06-05, 11:27 AM
mrfranclemont05
Visiting Guest
Car keeps dying...Frustrated

I have a 1989 ....88 royale brougham and i think possibly the alternator has gone out in it. By the way the battery is brand new but it keeps dying and it is not getting recharged the way it should be. Some people have told me that if u disconnect the battery cable, the car should stay running cause the alternator keeps it running. Well when i disconnect the battery...the car dies or when i leave it run for an hour and shut it off, i cannot start it back up. What could possibly be wrong?

Old 06-06-05, 12:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Don't try to run the car without the alternator connected (might not want to take any more advice from whoever suggested it, either).

Sounds very much like the alternator. Only way to find out is to have the charging system checked. If you are handy enough to remove it, lots of auto parts places can bench check it, usually for no charge. Alternative is to drive it, when it will run, to the nearest garage to have it checked. Very fast, easy test and you'll know.

Old 06-06-05, 12:33 PM
mrfranclemont05
Visiting Guest
u mean battery?

Old 06-06-05, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
No, remove the alternator and have it bench checked or drive it in (or have it towed) to a garage and have it checked in the vehicle. Your battery, being brand new, is probably not the culprit.

Old 06-06-05, 01:40 PM
mrfranclemont05
Visiting Guest
ok thanx...i'll take it out and have a qualified person check it out

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: