'79 Jeep CJ5 steering question

Old 06-06-05, 01:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
'79 Jeep CJ5 steering question

I'm looking at restoring a 1979 Jeep CJ5 to driveable condition, and have a question about the steering. While looking at the front end, I noticed the drag link has a bend in it at the right steering knuckle end. The bend is inward, toward the axle housing. It doesn't look normal to me, but I also don't see any evidence of impact. The bent-in portion doesn't appear to be hitting or rubbing on anything in its travel. Is this bend normal, or am I looking at replacing the drag link or the end(s)? Any/all help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris

Old 06-06-05, 05:05 PM
I don't have an answer. However, you could order the part at an auto supply, when it arrives, just look at it, without buying it. That should eliminate all doubts.

Old 06-06-05, 05:26 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you just mean it's not straight, that's normal for this vintage
If you mean more than a few inches off, or a bendlike a V or U, that might not be normal

It's supposed to bend slightly after the steering gear arm, and again about 2/3 of the way toward the steering bellcrank

It is very hard to find parts for this vintage Jeep (AMC still in '79 right?)
I often found myself making them or modifying "close" parts
I wouldn't be suprised if this was a home shop modified drag link

The front of the drag link should go a little beyond the connection to the bellcrank...does it point straight ahead or angled?

Old 06-06-05, 05:45 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lugnut
I don't have an answer. However, you could order the part at an auto supply, when it arrives, just look at it, without buying it. That should eliminate all doubts.
Ya know Lug, that would probably work with any vehicle except this one

Old 06-06-05, 06:03 PM
Slick, I don't doubt you. I just know that auto supply can order parts back to 1965, more or less. The 4 wheel drive's and so on may be even harder to find since they are not your typical passenger car that most suppliers focus on. So I probably stand corrected. I know that I find myself looking at Whitney for those kinds of parts. But, what the hey, find a 'good' auto parts guy (ha!, thats the real trick, lol, where is Joe? when you need him), ((he got banned)). )

Old 06-06-05, 06:07 PM
Thanks, Lug and slickshift. Yes, 1979 still makes it an AMC product. The drag link is straight leaving the pitman arm; the bend is in about the last 7-8" before it gets to the steering knuckle arm. It's not like a 'J' or "U", though, so I guess it's pretty slight. It does come within about 1/2" of touching the tie rod, but doesn't hit or rub anywhere. As I was just outside looking at it, it caused me to wonder if it's bent that way to avoid hitting the right front leaf spring when turning left. Just a thought... Hey, thanks again, guys! 'Til next time - Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: