90 Chevy Astro Thermostat

Old 06-06-05, 04:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 90 Chevy Astro Thermostat

what would it do if i took the Thermostat out of my van?

Old 06-06-05, 04:52 PM
It would screw up the computers ability to control the air/fuel ratio. Street cars are engineered for this input to optimize emissions (polution) and fuel economy.

Aside from that, the car would run. Race cars routinely use a brass ring that has no thermostat built in. The size of the opening in the ring depends on what the owner wants based on the types of car races he runs his car in.

I don't suggest ever running a street car without a therm. There is no good reason to do it, and it can create drivability problems.

Old 06-06-05, 04:58 PM
ok thanks what woudl be the best temp to run my van at, cuz right now its just way to hot for summer

Old 06-06-05, 05:13 PM
Older cars had the option of running 'winter' stats. But newer cars with computers are designed for only one temp stat. That is the stat that is sold at auto supply stores. You do not have the option to buy hotter or colder stats anymore.

Old 06-06-05, 05:23 PM
advance auto has a 160, 180, 185, 190, and a 195

Like This One

Old 06-06-05, 05:37 PM
Auto supply do sell different temp stats, but they are not, by specs, the OEM part. If you order the stat over the counter, there is only one temp listed, dispite the fact that you can go to the stat isle and find other temp options. This is why I said you don't have any options. I was conveying the recommended product according to the catalog. I could have mentioned the other stats, but I feel that they are not to be recommended. After your input about other stat temps, I will agree that they are they for people who want them for whatever reason.

I too, have seen conflict of products. Personally, I would go wherever my efforts led me. But technically, these other temps are for folks that want to thwart off overheating problems. I believe in the long run, they will not solve your problem. But I'm flexible. Give them a try, if they stock your model in other temps (it's a very limited list of models) what the heck. It's a bit of a grey area.

Old 06-06-05, 07:21 PM
ok right now i have a 195 in it and the output hose feels like it is very very hot, hotter then it should be and i dont think my temp sensor is working because it bearly moves

Old 06-07-05, 06:20 AM
If you mean that the temp gauge reads cold when the engine is hot, then replace the temp sensor.

You can not determine the temp of the heated water by touch.

Old 06-07-05, 08:43 PM
where is mine temp sensor located because were auto zone's website says i cant find it

Old 06-08-05, 06:33 AM
I don't know where it is on your vehicle. Suggest you see the actual part at a parts counter, then go looking for it on your engine after you know what it looks like. There may be slight differences in appearence between original part and replacement part.

Old 06-08-05, 01:56 PM
i know what it looks like but i dont know where it would be

Thanks For Your Help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: