replacing toyota tercel wiper motor "how to" help!

Old 06-07-05, 07:33 AM
mudder11
Visiting Guest
Question replacing toyota tercel wiper motor "how to" help!

I have the new windshield wiper motor and have both the instructions from Chilton's and the "instructions" that came with the new motor. Neither set of instructions make sense. they refer to a pry bar and prying upward (which I can't see doing when it's got threads and is screwed in)

I have a 93 toyota tercel, manual, 1.4 liter engine - not that all that matters where the wiper motor is concerned....

So I remove the top grate around the wipers and there is only one small hole where each wiper comes through the body - the rest of the top is solid metal ie no access to the back side (mounting side) of the motor. I unbolted the motor (under the hood and pulled back the rubber and can see that it's screwed into a 1.5 inch wide by 2 inch long piece of metal that is on the other side of the 1 x 1 inch hole that the arm goes through.

I can't seem to unhook or unscrew the old motor from the engine side. So I started taking apart my glove box. That only got me as far as a good look at my heater and no where near the mounting part for the windshield wiper motor.

I have no idea what to do next as I'm unemployed and somewhat inexperienced in the car maintenence area (I can do oil changes, grease bearings, change a headlight, fuse etc.) I wouldn't be trying to do this on my own if I had the money to pay a garage. I hope I've described the problem/situation well enough that someone can tell me which direction I can access the assembly so I can switch out the wiper motor.

Thanks!

Old 06-07-05, 01:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pull the motor away from the hole, there should be a clip sticking out on the wiper link you can hook on the edge of the hole.

This is where the pry bar comes in, pry between the link and the wiper arm on the motor. There is a ball socket that should pop apart.

If you still have problem Private message me you e-maill address and I will send you a copy of the manuel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: