Won't start at mid-temp only

Old 06-08-05, 07:07 AM
tdpofjc
Visiting Guest
Won't start at mid-temp only

1990 mazda MPV, V6:New plugs, new starter, new battery, runs great.
Starts fine cold, starts fine hot.
Problem: Once the car has been driven and has been fully heated to operating temp, if the car sits for 40-45 minutes it will not start. Just crank and crank. At first I tried the old stand-by of flooring the gas while cranking and still nothing...only smell the gas after. Once it sits for another 30 minutes, it starts and runs fine. I have been told its either the distributor ($300) or coil ($65).
The coil looks very easy to change since its right on top and you can see where the electric wiring boot attaches to one side and the plug wire goes to the distributor on the other side. Is there a chance it is the coil failing at the mid-range temps ? How could it be the distributor since it starts(hot or cold) and runs great?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-05, 08:06 AM
I would absolutely verify that you are not getting spark during this 'no-start' period. Don't want to race off in the wrong direction. Just for example, if you smell gas, you could have a badly leaking injector that is flooding the engine during the no-start period. It takes a while to leak enought to flood the engine and after 90 min, the gas evaporates and the engine starts.

So I suggest to check spark during 'no-start'.

Old 06-08-05, 12:31 PM
tdpofjc
Visiting Guest
No gas smell...it just cranks and cranks......my mechanic has seen this type of problem and mentioned the distributor...since the card is 15 yrs old i figure it wouldn't hurt to replace the coil, since it so easy and only $65...

Old 06-08-05, 12:54 PM
You are correct,, the new coil will definately not hurt the car. And it sounds like it won't hurt your wallet either. Set some more money aside to buy more
'easy to replace' parts ( to use your own words) if and when the coil does not fix the problem.

By the way, your first posted stated that you smell gas during this no-start condition.

Old 06-13-05, 09:53 AM
tdpofjc
Visiting Guest
THanks for the reply....sorry about the confusing problem description post..I ONLY smelled gas after I tryed to floor the gas while cranking....