98 GMC Sierra

Old 06-08-05, 07:52 PM
winnelson
Visiting Guest
98 GMC Sierra

I changed battery and now radio light stays on and runs down battery unless I disconnect the #19 Fuse.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-05, 08:02 PM
I don't see any connection between battery and radio. I know this may sound really silly, but have you tried turning the radio off with the on/off button?

If the radio is not the original, then someone likely wired it incorrectly. If so, turning the radio switch off might or might not remedy it. On some radios, the radio light is a separate circuit that can be wired (installed) accidentally to the dome light, headlights, or always hot, etc.

On a side note, I find it hard to believe that a radio light would run down a new battery over night.

Old 06-08-05, 08:30 PM
winnelson
Visiting Guest
gmc radio

Hey Lugnet I am having trouble posting replies so please bear with me. The memory part that keeps the stations in will run batt. down unless I take out fuse. It is original. Thanks and if you can tell me how to get back to you quicker I would appreciate it.

Old 06-08-05, 08:47 PM
winnelson
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 98 gmc

it is the memory fuse that keeps the factory radio light on. It started when I changed factory battery to real good one. Can someone tell me how to reply without starting over or is that how you do it. Somebody help this old texas plumber. Thanks

Old 06-09-05, 06:15 AM
The easiest way to reply to this thread is to be sure to click 'email notification' at the bottom of this screen. When an email arrives in your Outlook (whatever) mail box, then open it and click the link inside it. It will take you directly to the last post in this thread. From there, just one click on 'reply' will do the rest.

I still find it hard to believe the radio memory and light is running down a new battery. Since your light is on all the time, that would indicate a short in the wiring. This short is likely to be the cause of draining your battery.

Find the color of the wire on fuse 19, then trace that color wire back to the radio until you find the short. The wire may disappear in a wire loom but it will reappear somewhere else. Just keep looking for the color coded wire and pay attention to the color of stripe, if any, on the wire also.