99 New Beetle A/C

Old 06-09-05, 08:39 AM
jkevin
Visiting Guest
99 New Beetle A/C

A/C Compressor make nasty grinding noise, and makes the entire motor vibrate. Compressor is obviously dying, but local guy quoted a price of $900 for just the the part.
Rebuilt available on the web for less than $300. Can I do this myself? Does anyone make an A/C evauation-recharge kit? Lots of history with mechanical stuff, so I'm not afraid to do it.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-05, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you can by recharge kits at any auto parts place. Meijers and wall mart even have them. As for evacuating the system, i would advise taking it in. Pumps are 100+ dollars. You may need some special tools for taking the clutch apart.

Old 06-09-05, 09:26 AM
jkevin
Visiting Guest
I plan to replace the whole compressor. Clutch doesn't seem to be available seperately.

Do you think a shop will be willing to evacuate when I'm taking away their parts profits?

Old 06-09-05, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can buy a rebuilt compressor at any auto supply and install it yourself. Be sure to change out all o-rings in all lines. Install a new orifice tube or equivalent (VW?) and replace the drier. You can do all this yourself. Be sure to add the proper amount of oil to the system as you reassemble.

Then take it to a shop and they will evacuate and charge it for a fee.