Accessory plug - fuse blows

Old 06-09-05, 08:58 AM
Accessory plug - fuse blows

My 2001 Nissan Maxima cig. lighter fuse keeps blowing when using my Cell phone charger adapter (Verizon). I don't think it's a problem with the car, but just wanted to get an expert opinion.

The first time the charger stopped working, Verizon told me to check the fuse. It was blown and I replaced it, plugged the charger in again and it blew again. then again.

WHen I had them swap out the plug, I replaced the fuse and it worked fine.

This happened again about 6 mos ago and they said the charger was fine, but they hesitently gave me a new cord. It worked fine.

Just happened again yesterday, and wanted an opinion before going back to verizon again and demanding a new cord.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-05, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you still have the actual cig lighter, or can borrow one from another car, push it in and try it.
If it heats without blowing the fuse, take the charger back. Most lighters have a 10-15 amp fuse while the charger should only draw an amp or so. Blowing fuses means a dead short somewhere in the charger.

Old 06-09-05, 10:50 AM
It sounds like it must be the charger, if all other variables are the same whether you are using the bad charger or a new one, such as the same things on the fuse's circuit being on or the phone being on with a good or bad charger.

If all you want is a new charger to make to make your phone work, and you're not complaining about it, they shouldn't be giving you any problems and send you on your merry way with a new one. They are making a lot more money on the service you are paying for than they are losing on replacing the charger every 6 months or so.

Old 06-09-05, 04:31 PM
how does it fit

How does the charger fit?I have seen some that are to tight and you have to wrestle it into the lighter hole.All this twisting is not good and could short out you lighter.
If it fits good it should slide in with just a little resistance and no twisting.
I messed up my plug on a brand new Tacoma.I did not tell dealer how I did it so they fixed it under warrantty.

Old 06-10-05, 05:20 AM
The charger fits snugly into the receptacle. I usually leave the charger plugged in all the time, and just plug the other end into my phone when it needs charging. I never used to do this, but followed my wife's bad habit, and her charger NEVER blew the fuse in her car. We have the same phones and chargers.

Could it be a faulty alternator? How about an aging battery. I believe I have the original battery, from 2000. I noticed the clock gains a minute about every week, and thought that might be the battery.

Old 06-10-05, 10:49 AM
Strange

I think now that it must be the chargers.Does the fuse blow right away?Get something else that plugs into the lighter like a car vac or something like that maybe you can borrow a friends if you have nothing and see what it does.Do you only have the cig lighter or do you have AUX ports also if so try them.As far as the battery goes it would not cause the fuse to blow and also not the alternator.However your battery is getting close to its service life of about 5 years.
What I am wondering is if it blows the fuse right away or after you leave it in a while.You say you leave it plugged in it might be overheating the charger and causing a short with blows the fuse.
You can also check socket with the cig lighter just push it in and see if it works.That thing will draw a lot more AMPS then the charger.

Old 06-10-05, 02:55 PM
Plug it into your wife's car and see if the fuse blows if you want to be sure or if your wife uses the exact same charger, try it on your car. Definitely it is not the alternator or the battery causing this since they have been fine for 6 months after the last time this happened and would not blow a fuse as mentioned by michael van.
In my opinion, from what you said about this happening before and it lasting 6 months, it must be the charger at fault. (Replaced the charger, it works fine now- means the charger was bad) However it may be your fault for leaving the charger plugged in all the time if the manual says not too, so don't mention that to verizon.

Old 06-10-05, 06:47 PM
another thought

Your wifes cig lighter might be the type that only works with the key on thus giving the charger time to cool.Yours might be always hot overheating the charger to the point it fails.Just a thought .

Old 06-15-05, 08:31 AM
Actually, my wife's cig. lighter stays on ALL the time, and her charger is ALWAYS plugged in. Ignition in my car must be "on" or running for cig. lighter to work. I have used a small air compressor to inflate tires with the cig. lighter port, that always worked fine.

The more I think about it, eventually the plug will work it's way lose, so the charger won't make contact. I would then firmly push it back in, usually does the trick. This may be where I was causing friction in the past causing the short. Since I replaced the fuse, I waited a week to try the SAME charger, and it worked fine. So who knows!!!! Thanks for all your help!!

Search this Thread