Failed California Smog Test

Old 06-09-05, 01:23 PM
islandermike
Visiting Guest
Failed California Smog Test

1990 Acura Integra, 4cyl, Auto, 134,000miles. Failed the smog test with the following results:

HC(PPM)
Max limit 121 - Measured 89

CO
Max limit .76 - Measured .66

NO(PPM)
Max limit 807 - Measured 2176

The test failed due to the NO(PPM) over the limit. Whenever I drive the vehicle, you can smell the a strong odor of the exhaust, smells like an unburned gas. Any ideas on what to check first?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-05, 01:52 PM
Catalytic Converter?

Old 06-10-05, 05:32 PM
If this car has an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation valve) I would start there. Failing that, it may need a converter. Take care with after market converters. Not all perform up to standard and you failed by a long shot. OE will be quit expensive but it might just work.

Note : N02 is created when the engine runs too hot, so a full cooling system service in addition to the above may give you an edge.

Old 06-10-05, 07:02 PM
islandermike
Visiting Guest
Failed smog test

Thanks for the recommendations. I will try and clean the EGR first if I can find it or I may just have to go to the library and see if they have a repair manual for my car.

Old 06-10-05, 07:25 PM
Be careful when removing the bolts. Since exhaust passes through the valve it gets very hot and the bolts tend to sieze. Also, make sure you clean the ports in the manifold as well. They tend to get crudded over. When a valve fails, either the vacuum membrane (the soft part up in the valve) gets a hole in it, the pintle (the shaft under the membrane) sticks (in your case, closed), or the ports become blocked. Look carefully at the membrane. If there is a hole, you need a new valve. Cleaning the pintle may work, cleaning the ports definitely.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Old 06-11-05, 04:47 PM
islandermike
Visiting Guest
Inspected EGR

I removed the EGR and visual inspection seems to be good. The plunger pushes up and opens port easily, the diaphragm is also intact; however, the vacuum hose that plugs in to the EGR does not have any vacuum. I traced this hose back to a control solenoid (two hose connections, in and out) which is suppose to open to let passage of vacuum but seems like it is not opening. The hose going into the control solenoid inlet has vacuum.

My question is, is there suppose to be a vacuum on the hose going to the EGR at all times (engine at operating temperature) or only at rpm's between 2000 and 4000 rpm? I will check if the solenoid operates electrically later, my 2 year old daughter is still sleeping.

Thanks

Old 06-11-05, 07:20 PM
As you say, the valve should open only when the engine is under load. If it were open all the time it would be like a big vacuum leak and the car would run terribly.