Shifting into reverse....Transmission drops

Old 06-09-05, 08:07 PM
bjghowie7
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Shifting into reverse....Transmission drops

I am curious to know why my transmission drops significantly when I shift my 1989 Buick Park Ave. 3.8L V6 from PARK into REVERSE. Originally I thought pressure build up due to being on an incline was causing this problem however it happens on a level surface as well. I have changed the trans filter but that doesn't seem to cure my problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-05, 07:37 PM
What do you mean by 'drops' ? You mean actually moves downwards ? Must be a mount, then. Open the hood and have someone, with their foot on the brake, shift into reverse. You will see the engine/tranny move.

Old 06-11-05, 10:30 PM
what do you mean by drops? do you mean the tranny physically drops lower toward the ground? and how do you know it does this?

Old 06-11-05, 10:33 PM
bjghowie7
Visiting Guest
ok so maybe it doesn't physically "drop" but i used that term as a figure of speech. When I shift into reverse, a loud "boom" occurs and it sounds like the transmission dropped on the floor! Any help now?

Old 06-12-05, 06:14 AM
Same thing, you most likely have a bad engine mount. As previously suggested have someone watch the engine while you shift it into reverse and drive and neutral.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy