AC Electrical Questions

Old 06-10-05, 05:39 AM
mraimer
Visiting Guest
AC Electrical Questions

I am trying to install a 86 carpi AC unit into an 82 mustang. However the 2 wires that plug into the compressor do not exist in the 82. What are these 2 wire connected to?

Also what are the wires going into the accumulator connected too?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-05, 06:26 AM
The 2 wires are really the same wire. They run from the low pressure cut-off switch atop the accumulator, directly to the compressor.

Old 06-10-05, 08:24 AM
mraimer
Visiting Guest
AC Compressor Electrical

The compressor only has 2 wires and I am not sure where they go when fit an AC unit in a car that never had one.

1 wire is black & the other is black with a brown stripe.

I thought black would be ground, and the other would be power to the fuse block (clutch fuse). This way when you switch the vent to the AC it would send power to engage the clutch.

Any idea what these wires dierctly connect to?

Old 06-10-05, 08:34 AM
I guess you either didn't like my post or did not understand it. Good luck.

Old 06-10-05, 09:10 AM
mraimer
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Lugnut
I guess you either didn't like my post or did not understand it. Good luck.
Lugnut,
I didnt really understand it...I guess I am confused about where the power comes from to tell the compressor to turn on and off. Are you saying the wires connect to the accumulator and the turns the compressor on and off?

Old 06-10-05, 11:08 AM
There is an additional plug in the rear of the compressor for the electrical feed, which leads back to the dash controls, then back further to a fuse.

Old 06-10-05, 11:56 AM
mraimer
Visiting Guest
Humm! I only have 1 plug on top of the compressor which has a black and a brown wire. If these wires got to the accumulator, how do they connect? Is it just a loop?

The funny thing is my 82 mustang which never had AC, the harness had the plug for the accumulaytor already (Which has 3 wires). Do you know what these three wire would be for?

I guess I thought there wasnt many wires, so the change over would be easy. Wish I new more about how a AC works and I wire diagram.

Old 06-10-05, 01:05 PM
Yes, its just a loop.

I don't know about 82 models and the third wire. Maybe a ground or maybe involved with the radiator fan circuit.

I'm not surprised to hear the mustang was already wired for a/c. Just a cost savings way to manufacture all the different options on a car.

Search this Thread