1993 chevrolet cavalier automatic trans no shift

Old 10-29-06, 02:08 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1993 chevrolet cavalier automatic trans no shift

Hey, my 1993 cavalier 4 cylinder 2.2 is on its last leg automatic transmission will not shift from 1st or 2nd? Anyway the fluid is black probably never been changed. Will changeing the filter and fluid have any impact on the shift? It is a throw away car for us we drive it locally onlt to and from the school etc. Fluid and filter is about all I can think of doing. But I do not want to shotgun it for no reason!

Old 10-29-06, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Definetly get that tranny fluid changed. It definetly should help your shifting issue if it's not to late. If it's black, that means it's probably burnt, and burnt overheated tranny fluid = bad tranny.

Old 10-29-06, 03:14 PM
C
Okay thanks

I have been to three mechanics here locally, even told one to change the fluid he said it would not help but I think I know better too. I may just try jify lube or quick lube about $70. The mechanics I talked to were glad to suggest a new or rebuitl tranny for $1200 plus but to me the car is not worth that much because it has other problems cosmetic and electrical I will give it a try tomorrow.
thanks

Old 10-18-07, 09:41 PM
B
Thumbs up Re: Tranny no shift

yes get that fluid changed the transmission can be saved might need a new filter and fluid change make sure that you also have the modulator on the transmission hooked up that too can cause no shifitng one other thing Walmart sells a product called trans x its $4.96 it improves shifting and slippage as well put this in after the trans servicing it should make the trans begin to come back to life and start to shift properly again a clogged filter or bent line in the tranny will also stop the shifting make sure they adjust the bands and linkage as well at Mr transmission or precision transmission they do a 20 point transmission check and adjust the bands and linkage if needed its all about $39.95 I think but get it done asap for that price its way better than a $1200 tranny good luck hope this helps ya out

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 10-19-07 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Arg.....this thread is a year old! /closed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: