Trans seems to shift into neutral during the 3-4 (overdrive) shift

Old 06-11-05, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trans seems to shift into neutral during the 3-4 (overdrive) shift

Re: Ford Automatic Trans (AODE) - 3-4 (overdrive) shift problem -- After installing a shift kit and new overdrive servo, the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are fine, but the trans seems to shift into neutral during the 3-4 (overdrive) shift. Prior to the shift kit, the trans failed/shuddered on the 3-4 shift. I have installed shift kits before without any problems. I’m wondering whether the shift kit has “uncovered” a pre-existing problem, or if this is possibly a pressure problem, or a problem with the MLPS. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-05, 09:38 PM
Sounds like you already answered your own question. You are wasting your money installing a shift kit in a transmission that already has problems
Sounds like you are due for a rebuild.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 06-12-05, 09:53 AM
Actually, the overdrive problem started before the vehicle had 40K miles on it – seems a little early to need a rebuild. I'm the original owner and have taken excellent care of the vehicle, but I suppose it could still need a rebuild... I've been driving for over 35 years and have had no luck with transmission shops. Any suggestions about where to get a good rebuild?

Old 06-12-05, 01:31 PM
Why don't you DIY the rebuild (assuming you need one). Just get the appropriate manual from ATSG or ATRA and go for it. Buying the manual will be a good idea in any case since you may be able to do a lot of the troubleshooting/diagnosis youself. You seem to already be good at working with trans - installing shift kits and replacing the OD servo. Incidentally why was the OD servo changed - was it part of the shift kit or was there a problem with it.

Don't know too much about the AODE but generally OD is achived by driving the planet carrier and holding the ring gear via the OD band/servo. The sun gear then turns the output. There could a problem with the clutch used to engage the planet carrier. Alternatively it could simply be a sticking valve used to energize the appripriate clutches/bands in OD.

I have a book by Chilton's called "automatic transmission diagonisis and repair" which is also worth buying to understand how automatics work.

I would personally buy the manual and see what you can do yourself first.

Old 06-12-05, 02:18 PM
I am all for an individual doing their own wrenching as long as it is within their personal ability. Assuming your time is valuable as well as your wallet, I would not recommend anyone to take on rebuilding a transmission unless you have the proper tools (BIG $$) and a VERY good understanding of the unit you are working on. I have been turning wrenches since I was 12 years old and I dont go inside automatic transmissions unless I have the proper tools and the documentation to tell me what will or will not get me killed. There are some transmissions out there that have very high spring tension on some internal components and if released without the proper tool can ultimately kill you. Not a good idea in my honest opinion.
I would recommend looking into a swap out kind of deal, or maybe check out Jasper. They offer a very good warranty on their rebuilt units. Well worth YOUR time.
Good Luck,
Billy

Old 06-12-05, 02:25 PM
Agreed - based on the original post I was assuming the the poster already was familiar with doing some work on the trans. And yes, it is a tradeoff between the time taken to have the vehicle off the road. However, the tools don't have to be big $$ - there are many deals to be had online for used trans tools such as online auctions. I picked up a good used servo compressor for my trans for $5 (new price $250). The AODE is quite a common trans and used tools can be had. Also I've come aross places that will rent the tools for the job.