96 f150

Old 06-11-05, 05:24 PM
hollyelizabeth
Visiting Guest
96 f150

ok- my husbands truck
a ford f150 truck is making a funny noise- we cant put it in the shop right away so i was trying to figure out what it is and how much it will cost
its kinda a gundunck gunrduck noise on the drivers side under the hood- we heard it when we started it up tonight- its not driven often- but it is needed- and then we left the diner- 20 miles away it didnt do it until we had driven a few miles and stopped and turned the air conditioner on- sorry i dont know a lot about vehicles oh and its a standard
thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-05, 07:28 PM
If you can determine that it happens only when the a/c is on, then it is likely to be the compressor or clutch (at the front of the compressor). Could be that the compressor is on its way to siezing, or it could be that the electromagnet that engages the clutch is not functioning properly.

It is a little hard to get hold of the noise you describe, though. When the a/c is on the engine is placed under extra load, which can bring out unrelated problems. Is the noise continuous ? Is it solid or grinding ? As specific as possible is very helpful.

Old 06-11-05, 07:33 PM
hollyelizabeth
Visiting Guest
it doesnt go on and on - maybe for 20 seconds or less and then maybe does it again- it sounds more like what i would think would be a piston or something or something moving- not enough liquid in something? that kind of noise
clutch- that would be really bad right if it went out on him while he was driving- is this something difficult or expensive to fix?

Old 06-11-05, 09:56 PM
well you can try taking off the serpintine( i know i probably butchered the spelling) belt and seeing if the compressor pully rotates freely without any grinding or other noises.

Old 06-13-05, 12:58 PM
She doesn't need to remove the belt to check for a siezed compressor. With the engine off, just turn the part of the clutch pulley that doesn't turn with the belt. If there is any binding, then the compressor is probably shot and has likely sent debris through the system (black death).

If the noise goes away when the a/c is turned off, then the clutch is okay and the belt is safe. Continued attempts of trying the a/c while it is noisy can result in losing the belt.

Old 06-13-05, 07:13 PM
Agreed that it must be the compressor.

Old 06-14-05, 12:04 PM
hollyelizabeth
Visiting Guest
ok yesterday we popped the hood while it was running we heard very well there was a sound like something was loose- like it was hitting something- it was up front by the fan and the big belt- but we couldnt see the source

Old 06-14-05, 12:16 PM
Could be anything, they make a mechanics stethiscope with a long metal probe. Or use some other form of make shift tool, while the engine is running put the (cut broom handle) tool on each componant and put your ear to it and you will find the bad componant. Check alternator, compressor, power steering pump and water pump. If one is knocking you will be able to tell.

Old 06-14-05, 04:18 PM
hollyelizabeth
Visiting Guest
thanks so much