Strange problem with Blazer (electrical)

Old 06-13-05, 05:48 AM
droog
Visiting Guest
Strange problem with Blazer (electrical)

I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer LS, standard transmission. It's always been pretty reliable. Today when I was driving I noticed a weird sort of whistling noise that seemed to get louder as I accellerated and lower as I shifted or braked. I couldn't really pinpoint where it was coming from. I had the stereo and A/C on, and both worked fine.

When I got home, I parked the truck and shut the engine. As I got out, I hit the power lock switch and nothing happened. So I tried starting it again, but it was completely dead, no power at all. The battery is only six months old, but I tried jumping it anyway. Absolutely no effect, still no power at all.

Anyone have any clue what the problem might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-05, 03:56 PM
Alternator, same thing happened to mine, no idiot lite or anything. Jump it to start, then get alternator checked.

Old 06-14-05, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by droog
The battery is only six months old, but I tried jumping it anyway. Absolutely no effect, still no power at all.
So you tried to jump start it and no power at all anywhere? If so, maybe you didn't let the running engine run for enough time before trying to start. Make sure you have a good connection with the jumper cables and they aren't reversed. The engine you are trying get the jump from should die down a little when you make a good connection and you should let it run for at least a full minute or 2 before trying to start since your battery appears to be completely dead.

Other than the alternator going bad, it could also be a loose belt causing the battery drain and noise.

Old 06-14-05, 08:50 PM
check your battery cables for looseness and remove and check for corrosion clean if necassary while you should do the above when jump starting a dead battery it just requires a good connection to give you dash lights or atleast some power while the vehilce may not be able to crankover enough to start without letting it charge for a few minutes.