RPMs not behaving

Old 06-13-05, 06:04 AM
ncaissie
Visiting Guest
RPMs not behaving

Hi,

I have a 2003 sunfire.
Standard tran. And 90,000 K.

Usually when I press the clutch down the RPMs drops to 500-1000.

Lately (Not 100% of the time) it has been hesitating dropping and when it finally does it only drops to 1500 RPMs.

It started with the hot weather but I donít know if itís related.

Has anyone seen this before or know what the cause is?

Tanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-05, 06:29 AM
First check for vaccum leaks on your motor. maybe a vaccum line has come off.

Old 06-13-05, 06:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My 90 jeep [automatic] had a similiar problem with the idle. Sometimes great other times it would idle high [1500-2000] Had to replace the throtle position sensor to fix it. Be sure to check all the cheap/easy stuff first.

Old 06-13-05, 07:13 AM
ncaissie
Visiting Guest
Ok Thanks.

I will check those.

Old 06-13-05, 07:20 AM
ncaissie
Visiting Guest
Iím not a mechanic Iím just looking for some honest answers so I donít get ripped off.

Is there an easy way to check the vacuum hoses for wholes?

Thanks

Old 06-13-05, 08:01 AM
Crank the engine and start at the throtle baffle, where the throtle cable hooks up to the engine. listen and feel around with your fingers if your finger finds the leak it you will notice the engine idle down to normal, move your finger away from it and it idles back up. Another thing could be a leaky gasket somewhere on the intake, if you can't find it by feel or hear take it to a mechanic, You can spray starting fluid or wd-40 around the gaskets and wherever the leak is it will suck the fluid into the engine and it will speed up.(if there is a leak)

Old 06-14-05, 05:29 AM
ncaissie
Visiting Guest
Ok thanks.

Turns out GM as a software update.

Document ID# 1548273
2003 Pontiac Sunfire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine Idle Flair When Clutch Depressed or Decel Stall (Reprogram PCM) #04-06-04-063 - (Sep 1, 2004)
Engine Idle Flair When Clutch Depressed or Decel Stall (Reprogram PCM)
2003-2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

2004 Chevrolet Classic

2003-2004 Oldsmobile Alero

2003-2004 Pontiac Grand Am, Sunfire

with 4 Cylinder 2.2L Engine (VIN F - RPO L61)

Condition
Some customers may comment on an engine idle flair when the clutch is depressed. Also, some customers may comment on a low speed engine decel stall when coming to a stop.

Cause
The flair may be caused by the vehicle entering stall saver mode when the clutch is depressed. The low speed engine decel stall is produced by an interaction between the engine control software and the IAC motor.

Correction
Reprogram the PCM with the latest calibration available.

The new calibration will be released beginning with TIS satellite data update version 6.0 for 2004 available June 2004. As always, make sure your TECH 2ģ is updated with the latest software version.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J6354
Engine Control Module - Reprogram
0.4 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 1548273
2003 Pontiac Sunfire

Search this Thread