$2,000 Rip-off on A/C

Old 06-13-05, 01:37 PM
FancyPant
Visiting Guest
Question $2,000 Rip-off on A/C

Hello all,
I have a 1995 Chrysler Concorde. Last month the A/C stopped blowing cold. I brought it to a Master Certified Mechanic and he replaced the A/C evaporator, compressor, drier and expansion valve, flushed system, evacuated and charged system with R-134A, ICE-32 and oil. Charged me over $1600 for that. A week later it stopped blowing cold again, this time he charged me $200 and replaced the blend air door actuator motor. Over the last three weeks it has been brought back 5 times for the same thing. Each time he promises that it is fixed and it isn't. I just picked it up from the shop and it does blow cool but not cold. I have paid almost $2,000 and don't know what else to do? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-05, 01:49 PM
You should take it to a different shop and see if they will tell you what the problem is, maybe the original shop is just "patching" it back up each time you bring it in hopping you will forget about it and not bring it back to them. Let somebody else see if somthing else should have been fixed that the original shop did not fix.

Old 06-14-05, 12:32 AM
yeah i got burned on some ac work too

make sure the compressor they used is a good one and not one from a junkyard.

Old 06-14-05, 03:38 AM
Yes a try a different shop, one that does more A/C work
These people aren't fixing it right

Old 06-14-05, 05:36 AM
I went through a similar experience with my LeBaron. It turned out to be a bad a/c relay - a $25 part!

Old 06-15-05, 01:04 AM
Talking

roll down your window that's cheaper yet!!

Old 06-17-05, 09:49 AM
cardmarc
Visiting Guest
bad work

1. Report him to the BBB.
2. take him to small claims court
3. sue him
4. stop payment on anything he did.

There is no excuse for sloppy worksmanship or poor service like this. Don't let him (or any other mechanic) get away with this crap.

Old 06-17-05, 11:57 AM
I think I figured it out, you need a new engine. I can fix it for you for $4,500.00 oh and prob tires too for $657.00. Just bring it on by, if it doesn't fix it bring it back and we will try somthing else..........just kiding...........................................Always get a couple est. before having work done because you usually don;t have to fix everything under the hood to fix one problem.

Old 06-17-05, 12:26 PM
Sounds like he has replaced everything, but the hoses. When a shop does this much work on a system they are "supposed" to charge the system with something other than freon (can't remember what gas they are supposed to use) to check for any leaks they may have created or missed. This prevents freon from being leaked into the air. Once they have done that than they drain that gas out and charge the system with freon.

Now if all the new parts he installed (correctly) all work and there was no leaks, than you should be getting cold air. If you aren't than he should make it right, find out what isn't working or where the leak(s) are and fix them. I would think that having invested as much money as you have already, he would be willing to suck it up on this one and fix it with no charge to you.

I would be interested what would happen if you took it to another shop just to see what they said was the problem. If it is a under charged thing, I would still have them look for a small leak somewhere or you will be back in a couple of weeks or months, depending on the size of the leak.

Old 06-17-05, 12:46 PM
A good shop always puts UV dye in the system during any repair or top-off. This is so the system can be checked for small leaks using a UV light - an excellent way to find leaks - during repeat visits.

But I agree with the consensus here that enough is enough. You already spent too much money for what should be a fixable problem. Either start threatening the original shop for satisfaction or find somebody else with the right tools who knows how to properly diagnose the problem instead of just throwing parts at it.

Old 06-17-05, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by FancyPant
... Over the last three weeks it has been brought back 5 times for the same thing. ...
I am curious exactly what repairs were made during each of the 5 times.

Old 02-27-07, 12:41 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by FancyPant View Post
Hello all,
I have a 1995 Chrysler Concorde. Last month the A/C stopped blowing cold. I brought it to a Master Certified Mechanic and he replaced the A/C evaporator, compressor, drier and expansion valve, flushed system, evacuated and charged system with R-134A, ICE-32 and oil. Charged me over $1600 for that. A week later it stopped blowing cold again, this time he charged me $200 and replaced the blend air door actuator motor. Over the last three weeks it has been brought back 5 times for the same thing. Each time he promises that it is fixed and it isn't. I just picked it up from the shop and it does blow cool but not cold. I have paid almost $2,000 and don't know what else to do? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
After reading everyone elses replies It may be your expansion valve being blocked internaly.Alot of shops say they flush the system but dont. This will automaticly block the expansion valve upon start up of the a/c.
This will give you the results you are getting if they didnt do a complete fush.
P.S Did they use vasiline??

Old 02-27-07, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
Yo, A/C Guy, that's a two year old thread; I would hope his ac is fixed by now.

Old 02-27-07, 10:52 PM
Arguing with a Mod is not welcome here.

Last edited by mattison; 02-28-07 at 04:53 AM.