Too frequent battery corrosions.

Old 06-14-05, 08:10 PM
Too frequent battery corrosions.

I have one car, a Ford Contour, that corrodes up every four to six weeks. I clean them with baking soda, terminal cleaner, treated felt washers and spray with a colored terminal protectant. Is there any thing else I can do to slow down the corrosion?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-05, 08:32 PM
Try using petroleum jelly between the posts and cable terminals.
Also see this: http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content...rouble.htm#a-7

Old 06-15-05, 04:46 AM
Do you have a cheap no name brand battery? Is the alternator overcharging? This will cause the acid to broil to much 9when it is overcharging)causing the acid fumes to escape out the top of the battery making the corosion more than normal.

Old 06-15-05, 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by Jack R. Jones
...that corrodes up every four to six weeks. I clean them with baking soda, terminal cleaner, treated felt washers and spray with a colored terminal protectant.
Wow, you're doing everything I could possibly suggest
Even the red stuff (term. protectant)

I think CD's on the right track, you have another issue
You'd better check your alternator
And how old is that battery?...and what kind?
If you're alt. is good you may want to change out the battery

Old 06-15-05, 10:45 AM
I concur

I also say overcharging causing battery to gas.Measure voltage if OK replace battery.

Old 06-15-05, 05:08 PM
Sulfation gets worse as the battery ages. You may be fighting an uphill battle. Clean and coat as already mentioned.

Old 06-15-05, 07:04 PM
Too frequent battery corrosions

The battery is the original OEM, otherwise it functions fine. My Contour has an analog charging meter and it goes up to approx. 14 volts when it's charging. I guess I'll have to hookup my amp meter and find exactly what the rate of charge is. Is it true that a battery that is "Over the Hill" could be putting out eccessive fumes which collect on the terminals?
Thanks guys for your suggestions.

Old 06-15-05, 07:14 PM
Yes it could be
If the battery is 5-7 years old, it's time for a new one anyway
Here in New England it's pretty hard on batteries
5 years tops on Ford factory installed batteries

Old 06-15-05, 07:16 PM
Double check the voltage with another volt meter. Factory gages are not always accurate.

Old 06-15-05, 07:27 PM
OLd

That is pretty old for a battery I am sure it is ending its usefull service life time to shop for a new one I say.The only battery I have found that lasted me 10 years was the Optima but it is pretty high price at about 110 dollars.

Old 02-27-07, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jack R. Jones View Post
The battery is the original OEM, otherwise it functions fine. My Contour has an analog charging meter and it goes up to approx. 14 volts when it's charging. I guess I'll have to hookup my amp meter and find exactly what the rate of charge is. Is it true that a battery that is "Over the Hill" could be putting out eccessive fumes which collect on the terminals?
Thanks guys for your suggestions.
A normal battery lasts 2-3 years. I think I solved your prob.
If not, place a little vasiline next to each post and place a penny on the vasiline this will divert the corrosion to the copper pennies.

Old 02-27-07, 02:37 PM
Wow, glad I don't live in your parts.. 2-3 years for a battery?

If it's not one of the maintenance free types, check the water level.

Short of running a battery completely dead multiple times, over-volting it with a bad regulator or letting it freeze, I'd say your average car battery will last well over 5 years.

Old 02-27-07, 02:49 PM
not any more

I find newer batterys last average of 4 years after that it is on borrowed time. Many parts of the country including mine in TX are very brutal on batterys Heat in the summer and cold in the winter tears them up around here. I just replaced my battery just because it was old about 5 years and venting bad. 89 bucks for a Exide battery is not bad every 5 years for piece of mind.