Starts & Runs Rough

Old 06-15-05, 06:08 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Starts & Runs Rough

I have a 1992 Olds Cutlas Ciera 3.3L V6 with 238,000 miles on it. For the last four years and 120,000 miles it has been tough to start when it's really humid or raining. Problem has very slowly gotten worse to the point where it really takes a lot of cranking to get it started lately (engine spins freely, but does not catch). Once started, it doesn't always stay running until I have stepped it down to accelerate on a road once - goosing the pedal while idling doesn't help, only in gear. It has now progressed to the point that I have little acceleration for the first few minutes - it will go, but not quickly, even if the pedal is depressed quite a ways. After a few minutes, everything clears up. I usually have more trouble in the morning than going home from work in the evening. Any ideas where to start to fix this?

Old 06-15-05, 07:44 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like your ignition needs some attention, has it had a tune up lately?

Old 06-15-05, 09:20 AM
Master101
Visiting Guest
Check by testing the condition of spark plug wire.

Old 06-15-05, 09:37 AM
WarrenDavid25
Visiting Guest
The cheapest thing you could do if you have changed the spark plug wires and had a tune up is getting some fuel injector cleaner running that through it with a full take of the cleanest gas out their. changeing the air breather if that has not been changed lately will make a big diff as well. these are the cheapes and easiest ways to make your car run a hell of a lot better if not let me know

Old 06-16-05, 09:31 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have the same engine and had the same problem. Cleaning the trrottle body cleared it up along with a complete tune up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: