92 Ford Probe Air Conditioning

Old 06-18-05, 09:08 AM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
92 Ford Probe Air Conditioning

I have a 92 ford probe 4 cyl and the air conditioning is not working. When I turn the A/C on at the highest setting and watch the compressor, it does not kick on. My first thougth was that perhaps I am low on freon. I have one of the freon kits you pick at the auto supply stores that came with a pressure guage. So I attached it to the low pressure connector and tested. The reading was in the red zone, which according to the instructions indicated over charged. Does the compressor not engaging indicate low on freon? What about the the red reading on the pressure guage?

Just to make sure the guage was ok, I connected it to my truck. It read in the green ( ok ) when the compressor was engaged and when the compressor disengaged the reading would move up toward the red.

Thanks
Jay

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-05, 12:08 PM
well first off, you dont want to try charging it because it is probably r12 and the stuff you can buy is r134, to get the compressor to kick on you can hook it directly to the battery and then read the gauge.

Old 06-18-05, 03:19 PM
It is not possible to connect a store bought r134 kit to a 1992 vehicle. Perhaps you just thought you had it connected.

Old 06-18-05, 03:56 PM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
This car was converted to 134r several years ago. I did try to add a can of freon. I connected to low pressure and turned the can upside down. As far as I could tell, nothing was pulled from the can, in that the can did not get colder and still seemd full when I finally disconected. The compressor did not engage during the attempt. Does this eliminate low freon as the problem?

Old 06-18-05, 06:50 PM
The compressor will shut off when either too high or too low. If the compressor never engages, then it is probably too low. By pass the low pressure switch for 1 min after you begin charging. When the compressor engages, watch the gauge to see if the pressure begins to drop immediately. If the pressure gauge drops immediately, then continue as per the instructions. If the gauge remains in the red zone, then stop charging and take it to a repair shop where a diagnoses can be made.

If you suspect an overcharge, then you should put a manifold set on it first to determine the charge. It is possible to explode the can if the system is severly overcharged.

Old 06-18-05, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Lugnut
The compressor will shut off when either too high or too low. If the compressor never engages, then it is probably too low. By pass the low pressure switch for 1 min after you begin charging. When the compressor engages, watch the gauge to see if the pressure begins to drop immediately. If the pressure gauge drops immediately, then continue as per the instructions. If the gauge remains in the red zone, then stop charging and take it to a repair shop where a diagnoses can be made.

If you suspect an overcharge, then you should put a manifold set on it first to determine the charge. It is possible to explode the can if the system is severly overcharged.
Good advice. DO NOT hot wire the compressor as suggested in a previous reply.

Old 06-18-05, 07:49 PM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
Lugnut,
I assume you are saying that by bypassing the low pressure switch, this will cause the compressor to engage. This will then result in a vacum that will pull freon from the can. IF after one minute, the pressure drops below the red, it would be safe to continue adding freon.

If this is correct, I have two issues. How do I bypass the low presure switch? Also, I only see one fitting on the low pressure side. I have used this fitting to check the pressure and to attempt to add freon. I'm not sure how I could add freon and watch the guage at the same time, However, I could add freon for one minute and then pull the can and check to see if the pressure has changed. Do you think this would be acceptable?

Thanks to all for your help.

Old 06-18-05, 08:05 PM
Yes, if the pressure drops immediately out of the red, then continue adding. It should drop suddenly once the compressor engages and if you have the connections solid and the can valve open.

Sorry, I thought you had the kit with the gauge-on-can setup. You are correct. You must disconnect the can, then connect the gauge for a reading.

Pull the 2 wire electrical plug off the low pressure switch above the accumlator near the charging port. It will not leak refrigerant. Use a jumper wire between the 2 pins on the plug. The compressor will engage immediately. Therefore is it vital that you are setup and charging before you jumper the switch.

p.s. Perhaps a better idea (since you have a separate gauge) could be to first hook up the gauge (no refrigerent yet), jumper the compressor, and see if the pressure drops within a few seconds. If so, then attempt to charge the system.

Last edited by Lugnut; 06-18-05 at 08:09 PM. Reason: I added a postscript.
Old 06-18-05, 10:53 PM
Lugnut you said "Pull the 2 wire electrical plug off the low pressure switch above the accumlator near the charging port" im not sure if your talking about this car specifically. On my 93 pontiac it has a low/high pressure switch on the high side between the compressor and the condensor with three wires in a triangle shaped connector. if it is like that try jumping the top two wires

Old 06-19-05, 06:33 AM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
Lugnut, I pulled the plug from the low pressure switch and jumped the two pins, but the compressor did not engage.

After shutting off the engine, I reached down and checked the center of the compressor ( clutch I suppose) . It will turn and has some resistance ( similar to my truck, which is working fine). I checkd the A/C fuse and it is fine. Any other things I can check?

Thanks adain to all for the assistnace.

Jay

Old 06-19-05, 08:06 AM
Did you jumper the connector in the harness plug, or the pins on the low pressure switch? It is the harness side of the connector that must be jumpered together.

Old 06-19-05, 08:34 AM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
Lugnut, boy do I feel stupid!

Yes I was jumping the pins on the switch. I just tried jumping the harness and the compressor still did not engage. I tested the dc current with a multitester and got no reading. Does this tell you anything?

Jay

Old 06-19-05, 08:41 AM
I will assume that you jumpered the plug while the engine was running which is of course what is needed.

If you saw no voltage, then the problem is not low refrigerant. It is either overcharged (and you cannot bypass the high pressure switch), or you are not getting voltage to the compressor itself. Check the connector in the rear of the compressor for voltage. If you are getting voltage to the compressor, then it will need to have a manifold put on it to determine its charge.

Old 06-19-05, 09:05 AM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
Lugunt, yes when I jumped the low pressure plug the engine was running

I found the the plug in the back of the compressor and disconnected it. It was a single wire. I tested the hot side of the plug and grounded to the negative post on the battery and I got no reading. I then tried by grounding to the ground wire coming out of the back of the compressor. Both test were done with the motor running and the A/C turned on and there was no voltage reading. If I have tested correctly, there doesn't seem to be any power to the compressor.

Old 06-19-05, 09:09 AM
You need to work backwards. Next stop, the dashboard controls, looking for voltage.

Just a thought, you might try testing voltage while at high idle. It might be a model that shuts off the compressor during idle.

Old 06-19-05, 09:35 AM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
Lugnut, I tried at higher idle and still no voltage.

Just to satisfy my curiosity and make sure I was testing correctly, I jumped the compressor hot wire straight from the battery and the compressor engaged ( I only did this for a second). As I have checked the fuse, does this eliminate the problem to either the switch or a break in the wire?

Old 06-19-05, 09:52 AM
I thought this car used a relay between the fuse and the compressor and it does. According to Alldata the relay looks to be in front of the raditor/condensor on the passenger side of the car. The relay is powered by 2 fuses. one fuse is a 20 amp a/c fuse and the other is a 15 amp cooling fan fuse. The relay is called a condensor fan relay and also powers your cooling/condensor fan. I thought this might help.

Old 06-19-05, 10:15 AM
Just in the nick of time Fordtech!

Old 06-19-05, 11:05 AM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
Lugnut & Fordtech, thanks for all of your help. I have looked for the relay in teh area discribed and did not locate it. Can any one tell me what it looks like and are there other places it could be located? Thanks.

Jay

Old 06-19-05, 02:33 PM
Alldata a lot of times is kind of misleading on their componenet locations so it could be anywhere and i can't remember myself for sure either. According to the wiring diagram the wire from the a/c compressor should run to it . It shows the two fuses powering to the relay and then a single wire running from the relay to the a/c compressor. Your best bet would be to backtrack the compressor wire as someone else had suggested. I'd also check all the fuses too not just the ones for the a/c to be on the safe side. Also i think this car has an underhood fuse box too so you might check them too if it has one.

Old 06-19-05, 05:03 PM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
There are two small black boxes on the passenger side up front. One is up top and one down below. The hot wire from the compressor seems to be going to the one on the bottom. I had taken the top one off earlier today after your first post and it is a small box perhaps 1 inch by 1 1/2 inch and it plugs into a harness. I beleive there were four connections, though I didn't see a fuse. There is also a black box against the firewall that has 5 similar boxes and plugs. The first three are marked I, II, & III . The last two are marked Horn, Cooling Fan. Could these be relays. If so, how can I check to see if the rely is good?

Old 06-19-05, 08:47 PM
there is a compresser fan ralay not sure where it is though but you can try this site for help which is probetalk.com go to the first generation probe forums and they will help

Old 06-21-05, 06:00 PM
It sounds like you've found some relays. According to Alldata the relay should have six wires to it. With the relay unplugged you should have 12 volts on the green wire and the black/white wire with the key on. I'm not sure if the color codes are right though it's showing a green/black wire to the compressor from the relay.
By far the simplest way to check the relay is by trying a known good one. if the other relays mentioned have the same # stamped on them they should be interchangeable.
hopefully i'm not sending you down the wrong track!! Good luck .

Old 06-22-05, 04:56 AM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
Fordtech, thanks. I'll try that. Thanks to everyone else for your help.

Jay