turning the ignition with car running

Old 06-18-05, 01:08 PM
TRussell
Visiting Guest
turning the ignition with car running

This post isn't about a repair -- I hope. I guess you could say it's about a potential repair. I hope not!

OK, here's how quiet my new Infiniti G35 is: After getting the vehicle washed today, I hopped in to take off. I turned the ignition. No response. Turned it again. No response. Started to try again, when one of the car-wash fellas came running over... "Stop! Stop!"

Turns out the engine had been running the whole time.

After getting over my embarrassment, I started worrying: What kind of damage can be done to the starter system/etc. when this sort of thing occurs?

I know this probably sounds minor. But we all know how easy it is to obsess over our rides!

Thanks for any answers or pointers...

Tomas Russell

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-05, 02:18 PM
my little brother tried to start my car when it was running a few weeks ago. no problems yet. i dont think you damaged anything too badly, but it is certainly not good for your car

didnt it make a horrible grinding noise when you tried to start it?

Old 06-18-05, 02:22 PM
TRussell
Visiting Guest
didnt it make a horrible grinding noise when you tried to start it?

That's what I'm saying -- the car's interior is so well-designed to shut out noise, I couldn't even tell I was turning the ignition with the engine on!

I have no doubt it was making some hair-chilling sound... I just couldn't hear it!

Old 06-18-05, 09:47 PM
You will be fine just don't make a habit of it. If done enough it will tear up the teeth on the flywheel and the flywheel will have to be replaced.

Get in the habit of looking at the tach to see if it is running and or look at the dash and if the idiot lights are off when the switch is in the on position the car is running.

Old 06-19-05, 06:59 AM
If its new it should have a safety feature , most do. When the engine is running and you hit the key nothing happens, I only know this because I recently tried to "restart" a 2001 Impala, turned out the engine was running and when you turn the key nothing happens. I turned it a couple of times more just for the heck of it and it did nothing. its somehow disables the cranking sequence whenever the engine is already running.

Old 06-19-05, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by chevydrivin
If its new it should have a safety feature , most do. When the engine is running and you hit the key nothing happens, I only know this because I recently tried to "restart" a 2001 Impala, turned out the engine was running and when you turn the key nothing happens. I turned it a couple of times more just for the heck of it and it did nothing. its somehow disables the cranking sequence whenever the engine is already running.
A good feature to have but if the carwash guys were yelling at him you can bet his car does not have it.